My daughter told me there are many people with heart failure should not take Remicade. She said that prior to my treatment is that I should discuss any heart condition with my doctor. I wonder if she is overreacting a little bit, since she is my daughter and she is worried about me. I know her friend’s mother uses the same but I wonder should I be careful as she says. Can you tell me more about Remicade, and what should I know before starting with it?

It is true what your daughter warrants you, and you should listen what she keeps telling you. Obviously, her friend’s mother had some problems because of that, so it is better to prevent you to have the same. You should tell your doctor right away if you develop new or worsening symptoms of heart failure. That could occur as shortness of breath or swelling of your ankles or feet. There are reports how serious infections, including tuberculosis, sepsis and pneumonia occurred while using Remicade. Some of these infections have been fatal, so tell your doctor if you have had recent or past exposure to people with tuberculosis to prevent this. Your doctor will evaluate you for tuberculosis and perform a skin test, sometimes it is special treatment needed before you start Remicade. Furthermore, if you are prone to or have a history of infections, or develop any signs of an infection such as fever, fatigue, cough, or the flu, you should tell your doctor right away. Beside this, you should contact your doctor immediately if you develop symptoms such as jaundice, dark brown urine, right-sided abdominal pain, fever, or severe fatigue. Blood disorders have been reported, some fatal, so you should also tell your doctor if you develop possible signs of blood disorders such as persistent fever, while you using Remicade. As you can see, this is not so easy to say you should not to worry, but you have to speak with your doctor before you start with Remicade.