Hi all. Friend of mine has a 7-year-old daughter who developed a rash and high fever a week ago. After a few days both the rash and fever disappeared so she is now back in school. But, after few days, one child from her class developed the exact same symptoms and was taken to the doctor. She was diagnosed with scarlet fever and is on antibiotics. Is it possible that my friend’s daughter still has scarlet fever, even without having any symptoms?? I think that she did not take any antibiotic treatment – can this disease go away without it? All replies are welcome!!!

Scarlet Fever is term for the combination of strepthroat and the rash associated with it. The treatment is antibiotics, usually Penicillin. It is quite possible that your friend’s child did have Scarlet Fever but as she does not have symptoms anymore, I think that her immune system has defeated the illness. But, the only way to be sure is to take a quick test for Strep that can be performed in the office – that will answer all your questions.