Hey guys.

My husband's brother is living in the China. I really miss him because I can't spend a lot of time with him and he is really amazing guy. He really helped me a lot during my heart problems and I am grateful to him. But since he moved to China almost 7 years ago, he is having some problems with his health as well, even if he was extremely healthy all the time. 

He told me that doctor suspect that he has infective endocarditis and he wants to know next thing: "what is infective endocarditis and how serious this condition is?"

Hello there Make Me Coffe.

I am sorry because you are apart. I know that feeling – when you are close to someone and he or she just moves out of the country.

IE is defined as an infection of the endocardial surface of the heart and it may include one or even more heart valves. This disease also includes severe valvular insufficiency which can lead to intractable congestive heart failure and myocardial abscesses.

If you left it untreated, it is dangerous. It can even be fatal. That is why you need to tell him to react as soon as possible.

Hey you two,

I agree that this condition is very dangerous, Make Me Coffee. If it is left untreated, it is always fatal. I know it's not a nice thing to hear, sorry about that.

The mainstay treatment for this matter are still antibiotics. Three to five sets of blood cultures should be obtained within 60-90 minutes, followed by the infusion of the appropriate antibiotic regimen. By necessity, the initial antibiotic choice is empiric in nature, determined by clinical history and physical examination findings.

You need to tell him the truth regarding how dangerous this can be in order to take this seriously, not in order to frighten him.

Hello everybody,

I'm afraid that they are right dear, this is very dangerous and it can end with the person's death.

This is often treated with penicillin G and gentamicin for synergistic coverage of streptococci. Patients with a history of intravenous drug use have been treated with nafcillin and gentamicin to cover for methicillin - sensitive staphylococci.

Prognosis depends on the complications that can happen. If he doesn't develop any complications, he can fight this with ease. If he does, well, things can get nasty. The proximate mortality rate is about 15%. This is not a small percentage, he needs to take good care of himself now.

Hello guys,

Actually, someone I know died because of infective endocarditis. He was a friend of my friend so I wasn't really too close to him or anything, but this example can show you how dangerous it can really be. I talked to my friend about him and she told me that he didn't pay any attention to the symptoms that he had and he refused to see his doctor. By the time he understood how dangerous this is, it was too late for him to do anything about it.

Be sure to tell your friend to take this seriously and to start to treat it as soon as possible.

Hey. Well, endocarditis generally occurs when bacteria or some other, sometimes unknown  germs from another part of your body, like your mouth, usually spread through your bloodstream and attach to damaged areas in your heart. So, this condition can become very serious and if you left it untreated, endocarditis can damage or destroy your heart valves! Sometimes it can damage them completely and it can cause you some complications that are going to last forever.  So it is serious and sometimes the treatments for endocarditis include antibiotics and, in certain cases, surgery. If your doctor recommend you the surgery, don’t try to avoid it.

Hello. I can see that so many of them already told you what the infective endocarditis is. But no one mentioned that infective endocarditis refers specifically to some infection of the lining of the heart. Also, infection usually also affects the heart valves, and any areas with abnormal connections between the chambers of your heart or it’s blood vessels. It is known that there are two forms of infective endocarditis and those are:

• Acute infective endocarditis and

• Subacute infective endocarditis .

Both of them are specific in its own way and every form requires a new treatment. Good luck.