Hello, I really hope I’ll get some feedback tonight. I am a bit nervous. I need some help guys. My dog is having problems with his kidneys. I’ve had dogs my whole life but none of them ever experienced kidney problems. If only I knew earlier, I would do everything to prevent it. But what’s done is done. My vet says his kidneys are in a bad condition and he told me to take extra care of him and his diet. Last time we went to see the vet he told us we’re dealing with renal failure. It made me so upset and also powerless. Can anyone tell me what causes failure in dogs?

Hey Mia,

I can help you since I know a few causes of renal failure in dogs, but you should know that you can’t really prevent it: you can take prevention measures but it can happen anyway- you never know. 

Dogs can develop kidney problems as a result of ingesting toxins, including antifreeze, certain medications, tainted foods and so on.

Some other reasons can be decreased blood flow or oxygen delivery to the kidneys. Some infections could lead to kidney problems, too.

Renal failure cannot be healed, its process can only be slowed down, or, in some cases, if only one kidney is failing, it can be removed surgically.

Hey there.

This can be very painful process for your dog. Kidney disease is common in dogs, but with early diagnosis and treatment your dog can be fine.

This is very common in dogs.

There are a few factors that can cause renal failure in dogs.

Let’s go : age – when your dog is 7 years old and older have a chance to develop kidney problems.

Food can affect this, because some dog foods are high in phosphorous.

Some breeds are more likely to develop renal failure.

It is sad because it can’t be cured, but you can slow this whole process.

Honey, it’s not your fault. You need to know that. There’s nothing you could’ve done to prevent it. Believe me.
I’m not just saying that to make you feel better. I had a perfectly healthy Bernese Mountain Dog and since I’m familiar with the fact that this breed is prone to kidney problems I did everything I could to prevent it, I read every single article about it on the internet. And still it happened. I ended up having a dog with renal failure. And I swear there’s no way he ever ingested toxins or any medications that could’ve harmed him.

Hello. I am sorry but you could not prevent it. You can find the best way to treat it if you want your dog to be healthy for the rest of his life. There is some bacteria that can cause kidney disease and renal failure in dogs. Severe infections in the kidneys from bacteria lead to renal failure. Kidney infections can happen spontaneously but it gets worse when your dog can’t fight against infections easily. One of those bacteria is leptospira and this can cause acute kidney failure in dogs. Maybe this is the main cause and it should be treated with meds.

There are so many things that can cause renal failure in dogs. Let’s see… There’s:

1. Age

2. Bacterial and fungal infections

3. Parasites

4. Cancer

5. Inflammation

6. Amyloidosis

7. Trauma

8. Autoimmune diseases

9. Toxic reactions to meds

10. Congenital and inherited disorders

And so on…

You actually can prevent it, but it’s pretty hard. If it’s meant to be, it’s meant to be.

What you should do now is to focus on your dog’s treatment rather than thinking about what you could have done to prevent it.

I hope your dog is still not in such bad condition that nothing can be done. What did the vet tell you? I really hope he will be fine.

Mima, thank you so much for those causes. But, I think that you actually can’t prevent it at all. This can happen to every dog and anytime.

I don’t see what you can do to prevent it :/ If you know, tell us :)

About Mia's question, I agree with Mima, but I think that the worst possible reason for this is infection that can cause this mess.

It is really painful process.

One of the indicators is when you notice that your dog is drinking too much water and if he has leaking of urine.

Try to heal it and to give your dog a proper treatment.

Hi everyone.

I really hate those ugly kidney problems. When my dog had kidney problems I was thinking that I am going to die. I just couldn’t stand seeing him in pain.

My vet told me that polyuria and polydipsia are associated with very large number of medical disorders. They are associated with renal failure in dogs.

Excessive water intake and urine output almost always accompany renal failure so you should keep this on your mind.

Sometimes they may develop high blood pressure.

Oxygen delivery to kidneys are other reasons for this ugly disease.

You need to find the best way to control it.