Hello everyone,

My sister thinks that she has myocarditis. I don't know how did this come to her mind but she is so boring about it and she asked me to investigate a bit for her. Although she is boring me with it, it is her health in question so I will do everything that I can to help her out.

Since she thinks that she has acute myocarditis, I want you to tell me what are its signs and symptoms in order to compare these to the signs and symptoms that she is having so that if she does have myocarditis, she could start treating it as soon as possible.

Hi Adria,

Well, the most common symptom of myocarditis is shortness of breath during exercise or exertion. The symptom usually develops after 7 to 14 days after a viral illness and can progress to shortness of breath at night which may require that you sit up to breathe. Other symptoms are fatigue, heart palpitations and chest pain or pressure. The legs might swell as well. In very rare cases, myocarditis might cause a person to lose conscious that may be due to abnormal heart rhythms.

Why doesn't she just go and visit her doctor, that way she'll be sure what's this all about.

Hey you two,

In summary Adria, people with myocarditis might experience some or none of the following symptoms: shortness of breath, chest pain, lightheadedness, irregular heartbeat and sudden loss of consciousness. 

She needs to see her doctor, myocarditis is easily diagnosed by doing an electrocardiogram. It can as well be diagnosed by doing a chest X ray or by doing an echocardiogram. If myocarditis is what she is having, she should know that it is not so scary and it can be more or less easily treated with certain medications. In case she has myocarditis, she should consult with her doctor about the best treatment for her.

Hey guys,

Thank you very much for your replies Stradivarius and Health n joy, I really appreciate it.

It's really hard to make my sister go to see her doctor. She has a phobia of doctors and hospitals but I'll make sure that she does it, I'm not sure how but I'll succeed, again, it's her health in question.

If it turns out that myocarditis is the condition that she has, can you tell me more about her treatment options? Are there only medications suggested as a treatment option or are there any kind of surgeries that can be done in order to fix this?

Hey Adria,

Usually, the person with myocarditis won't require any other treatment but the one that includes medications but in rare cases, there might be a need for a pacemaker.

Pacemaker is a small device that is inserted in one's chest during a surgery and this device is used to set one's irregular heart rhythm to a normal one. It's not a dangerous procedure and the incision made to insert this device is not too big but it is always visible.

I would definitely suggest to her that she goes to see her doctor, you should really talk to her about this matter.

Good day friends.

Acute myocarditis often has no symptoms. A lot of people can recover from it without knowning that they had it at all. It is a little bit weird but it is like that. But of course, you can have some symptoms as well and they can be : shortness of breath, abnormal heartbeat – they can cause fainting, light – headedness, fatigue, chest pain, pressure in chest, some signs of infections such as fever or sore throat, headaches, diarrhea, small amount of urine, etc.

Those usually are the symptoms on which you need to pay attention.

Hi there. It can be dangerous especially because it can affect anyone. Myocarditis can be diagnosed in any age, any gender and also without any symptoms. Weird but true. Symptoms of course can be developed and they usually are similar to something like a flu. In many cases myocarditis can subside on its own without having any treatment. It is the same thing like you cut your finger and he heals itself. Also if you have some more serious condition you may have not the symptoms of it. But of course, if you experience fast heartbeats or skipped heartbeats, that can be a sign of myocarditis as well.

Good day everyone. Some mild symptoms are chest pain, sometimes a fever, dyspnea and chills. Also, you can have some symptoms like flu, malaise or tonsillitis.  You need to be extremely careful because all those symptoms can lead to heart failure.

Fever, chest pain, fainting, difficulty in breathing, rapid breathing or abnormal heart rhythm are just some of the reasons why to visit your doctor. If you have some of those symptom, particular shortness of breath and chest pain, you can have an infection as well and that is just enough alarming to visit the doctor.

That is very important.

Good luck.