Hi everyone,

I never had any sort of encounter with strep throat and I have no idea what it is. My boyfriend called me a few minutes ago and told me that he has strep throat. All he said that I remembered is that he has strep throat, he said something about streptococcus, if I even wrote it correctly, and he said that it might cause him some heart problems.

I know that he is prone to having heart problems so I'm scared that if this does cause them, he can easily have a lot of trouble dealing with those heart issues. So tell me, please, can strep throat cause heart problems?

Hi Adria,

Yes, it can cause heart problems.  Usually with the valves.  It lead to scarring.  Scar tissue does not work like healthy tissue.  Often a heart murmur, leakage around the valves, can result.

Antibiotics can treat strep.  He needs to see his doctor if he hasn't.

Hello Adria,

Well, as Medic Dan wrote, he should visit his doctor if he didn't already.

A rare but potentially life-threatening disease, rheumatic fever, is a complication of untreated strep throat caused by bacteria called group A streptococcus. This thing also has some pretty bad side effects: fever, muscle aches, swollen and painful joints, and in some cases, a red rash.

The greatest danger from rheumatic fever is the damage it can do to the heart. Rheumatic fever scars the valves of the heart, forcing this vital organ to work harder to pump blood. This damage to the heart can lead to a serious condition known as rheumatic heart disease, which can eventually cause the heart to fail.

Hi everyone,

Like Stradivarius wrote, the danger doesn't come directly from the strep throat, but from rheumatic fever which is caused by strep throat. He should indeed visit his doctor so he doesn't allow himself to get rheumatic fever, since it can be life threatening.

Even if he does get it, he will still have enough time to act. If he happens to notice any of the symptoms that Stradivarius wrote, he should immediately contact his doctor. It is easily treated with antibiotics so the only thing important here is that he finds out on time if he gets to have rheumatic fever.

Hi everybody,

Yes, it can indirectly lead to heart problems if it isn't treated on time, and these problems can easily become pretty serious.

Although I'm not a big fan of antibiotics because if you get immune to them, you can forget about using them again, they seem to work best against step throat. 

He should indeed visit his doctor as soon as possible before he gets rheumatic fever, unless he got it already.  I honestly hope that he is already feeling better. 

I had a strep throat about a year or two before but I found it out on time and successfully treated it with antibiotics.

Good day there.

We are talking about rheumatic fever, right? It definitely can because rheumatic fever is a bacterial infection that can cause a lot of issue to your heart’s aortic and mitral valves. This fever is caused by certain strains of streptococcal bacteria and a strep throat infection that isn’t treated as the way it should be can cause rheumatic fever. Well, if you get this, it can cause damage to your heart muscle and heart valves.

When you suspect that you are having problems with something like this, you need to find the way to treat it as soon as possible.

Hey everyone.

Yes, it can definitely cause some heart issues. Certain conditions can strict and distort the heart valves and those condition usually include – advanced high blood pressure and heart failure. It can cause atherosclerosis in aorta and that is condition in which a waxy substance called plaque builds up inside the arteries. Also, it can cause damage and scar tissue due to heart attack or injury to the heart.

In any of those cases, treatment is necessary as soon as possible. You should never let any of those conditions untreated.

I have to agree that medications are really helpful in this case. 

Good day everyone.

Well my friend has this experience and it is very fresh. She will tell you – yes, it can definitely! If you are feeling fine and in second moment your throat is killing you because it hurts, and you are having a fever, you are out of energy – than you need to know that those all are symptoms of strep throat.

It is very common strain of bacteria that can live in your throat and nose for months without causing any harm.

Well this all can lead to heart problems, so basically strep throat is causing heart problems.

Oh yes. It definitely can and it usually comes in the shape of valves. There is a big chance of causing some heart problems.

I always remember my older neighbor Lily. She was talking me a lot about this since she knows that I am having some heart issues as well.

When she found out that she has strep throat she was thinking that this is nothing serious but very soon she started to feel some discomfort in her chest.

After two months she went to see her doctor and he told her that strep throat caused heart problems for her. Now she is on some aggressive therapy.