Hello! I am 21 years old and awaiting blood tests after my doctor said he thought I have solar urticaria. When I was studying abroad in Australia (from Kansas) a year ago, I started getting a rash whenever I would go down to the beach. It was especially bad on my stomach, back, and legs, but it showed up everywhere but my face and hands. I finally made a dermatologist appointment this week and I wanted him to see the rash that I get when I am in the sun, so I stood outside for about 15 minutes before I went in to the appointment. He seemed excited, I guess, maybe he had never seen this in real life? But I had no idea what it was because I had never bothered looking it up. It only affected me in the summer and spring (probably because I wear long sleeves and pants already in the winter and fall) and the dermatologist said he thought it was solar urticaria. The only thing is, I'm looking up pictures online of this condition, and mine doesn't look the same as the pictures. I don't have big mountainous red spots (wheals?). I have a pretty even rash, like what it looks like if you get any other normal kind of rash. But other than the appearance, it is exactly as the text books describe. Any skin exposed to the sun becomes a rash, any skin covered by clothing does not. The rash appears within seconds or minutes and disappears within about an hour or two. I take NO medications at all, a clean slate!
It seems kind of difficult to find real accurate information on solar urticaria because there isn't a lot of knowledge out there about it yet. Some differences I experience that I haven't really seen documented anywhere (maybe you can let me know if you share in these experiences) are things like this...
1. A period of time seems to need to go between rashes before I get one again. For instance, after going to the dermatologist, I went home to my parents house and tried to show them, but the rash wouldn't appear where it was the day before. It only appeared on my stomach and shoulders, which were not exposed the day before. And the day after that, I didn't get the rash anywhere. But it will come back, I know. I just don't know how long has to go between exposures.
2. Like I said above, the rash is splotchy, but not huge red wheals, it just looks like a regular rash. It is a bit raised (as regular rashes are) but it doesn't look abnormal.
3. It seems to happen really fast on my stomach and back (within 30 seconds or less) and my legs and arms take longer (10 to 20 minutes).

That's about all....At this point I'm just waiting for the blood tests to come back.....Some support/guidance/comments/insight please?

hi my daughter has solar uritica she use to get that same rash but only on her face now she takes alot of anhistamines to treat it shes been in and out of the hospital due to swelling in the face . the doctor is wanting to do plasma removal if the anthistamines dont work .also he wants to put her on steroids that are known to help.please listen to your doctor he will know whats best i wish you the best in all to come.

Recently I moved home from San Francisco, foggy city, and I was always inside because of class or homework, so I was exposed to little or no sun.  When I moved home to the Coast, I immediately soaked up all the sun I could get.  Suddenly I started reacting when I went in the sun.  The sudden exposure to so much sun must have shocked my system.  I've been through blood tests and allergists, and the only thing they can tell me is "oh you have solar urticaria, don't go in the sun."  After 2 minutes in the sun any exposed skin reacts.  My rash is usually solid red, no noticable swelling, and itches like crazy! Almost as if you were sunburned.  It takes about 2 hours to go away.  From what you're saying, I would guess it's SU, but I don't want to be the one to bring that horrible news to you.  Keep up hope.  All the pictures I looked at online didn't look like mine either.  There are so many explanations.  It could be solar urticaria, or PMLE, or Celiac, who knows!  NO ONE knows anything about SU yet.  I can't find anyone with any real knowledge.  I've been relying on a support group for answers to all my questions.  The difference between me and you is that if I get the rash, wait for it to subside, and go in the sun again, I still get it.  It might take longer to appear on your arms and hands because of skin hardening.  Your skin has been normally exposed to light and can handle it a little more.  Another thing to consider, do you wear foundation?  Usually that coat of makeup protects your skin on your face from reacting, try going in the sun without it, you'll probably react it will just take a little longer like your hands.

Check out this support group, it's worth signing up for.  I myself have been very depressed and am dealing with accepting this diagnosis.  Everyone on the site has been so supportive and always answer my lists of ridiculous questions.  Best of luck to you, and I hope you don't have SU.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** 

I've just got diagnosed with solar urticaria. Its very unpleasant my skin burns very bad,itchy & hives appear.my skin burns almost everyday. Do u know if there's any benefits that I can claim.