When I saw my best friend after 2 years, I was really shocked. She looked so slim that I could not believe it. After we have talked about it, she admitted that she is suffering from bulimia. I am worried about her, because she is only 17. Can I get more information about bulimia? Thanks

Being a teenager is very stressful period of life. The reasons why someone becomes bulimic are different and unique from person to person. Bulimia is a psychological and emotional disorder and sometimes it coexists with other psychiatric disorders such as depression or obsessive compulsive disorder, OCD. I advise you to talk to your friend ant tell her to seek professional help. Reasons that most people give for their eating disorder are a complex mix of low self-esteem, cultural pressures and childhood conflicts. People become addicted to substances and behaviors to avoid painful feelings, especially at delicate age as your friend. Most devastating of all are the feelings associated with low self-esteem. Feelings that our lives have no value or purpose are the most dangerous. In the early stages eating disorder can raise self-esteem when it gives someone a sense of success, in this case the cultural ideal of thinness and because of that many young girl turn to purging when they have failed at a diet. This is not only a case with young girls. They think that there is no other way for them to lose weight so they need to binge and purge. Bulimics are often considered "ideal" children, and they are usually "people pleasers." Talk to your friend and see if she has talked to her parents about it. They need to know what is happening with their daughter so that they can help her.

Look, what dove said is just right. The most common reasons for someone become a bulimic are related to low self-esteem and cultural and social pressures (childhood conflicts also can be a reason for that). Society has an important role here, because the images that yuo get from what is "(close to) perfection" are completelly distorted - the "perfect" girl is only a skeleton and not a body with flesh and organs, see what I mean?

As dove said, bulimics are very often considered "ideal" children and usually are "people pleasers" - most of them have what the other people may think to be "a great life": generally good students, social people, etc.

The feeling of failling - even if it a diet or a going to the gym - can be an obsession to bulimics. I know what it feels like, unfortunatelly...