I have vision problems and that is why I wanted to ask you something. I have heard about some new AcrySof ReStor Lenses. They said those lets cataract patients see both near and far. I want to hear if that is true, because I am interested into those. I would appreciate any info about this, because I have nobody to ask.

Most of cataract surgery patients receive monofocal intraocular lenses, which restore their distance vision. However, those require them to use reading glasses for reading and other close-up activities. The fact is how AcrySof ReStor lenses have demonstrated that it can substantially restore the ability to see both near and far. That was confirmed in a Phase III clinical study presented recently at the American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery annual meeting. The AcrySof ReStor lens has received approval for marketing in Europe already, and Alcon Inc., the manufacturer, anticipates FDA approval in 2005. The clinical studies supporting the approval showed that 80 percent of patients who received the AcrySof ReSTOR lens did not use glasses for any activities after cataract surgery. I guess you will be surprised and happy with this great news. Other intraocular lenses may produce vision at all ranges by depending on the action of the eye's muscles, while the AcrySof ReStor lens provides different ranges of vision. This is based on a lens configuration that enables specific distribution of light in response to how wide or small the eye's pupil might be.