Hello! My granny is really crazy. Even though she is 60 and about to have a cataract surgery, she wants to know how soon she will be able to wear mascara after the procedure! Please, help!!! She won’t stop talking about this?

Hi there! You are lucky to have a granny like that. Mine just sits at home and complains, nothing else. As for the make up, powders, foundations, eyeliner and mascara often make their way into the eye, and should not be used until the second week. But lipsticks and eyebrow pencils are OK. Two weeks after the surgery, she may wear what ever she wants.

Hi there,
I am not sure how smart is to wear mascara after the procedure. She really needs to wait for some times in order for the surgery to heal completely before she puts any makeup near her eyes. I would say that she needs to wait at least three weeks. I think that she will be able to wait this long. There is not rush because this can only complicate things and she can have more complications in her eyes. I think that you should talk to her and tell her to wait at least three weeks after the surgery is done. I hope that this helped you and your grandmother a bit.
All the best,
Danella

ITS A LONG TIME,SO I WILL WEAR SUNGLASSES TO HELP MY LOOKS. I REALLY DO NOT LOOK SO WELL WITHOUT EYELINWE

I'm 64 and love my eye makeup! I just had cataract surgery and my surgeon said I could eye makeup right away. The only trouble is, he made me farsighted and I can't see to put the makeup on! That truly sucks!

You must not be very old. I'm still working, vital, and mistaken for someone in my forties. 60 isn't dead!

I am about to undergo cataract surgery (monofocal lens) and also wear makeup. I have heard that it is almost impossible to apply makeup afterwards, except by wearing reading glasses which of course makes it impossible to apply eye makeup. Have you had any improvement since your surgery?

I just had cataract surgery in both eyes, monofocal also, and found that a 8x mirror is extremely helpful. No worries about needing reading glasses for makeup. Only reading!

I also have had eye surgery and love my eyemakeup but finding it hard to apply.

What is a 8x mirror???

I am now longsighted and need reading glasses.

Many Thanks    Esther

I agree. I'm 63, looking forward to my second cataract surgery in two days, but afterward, I will want to hide away for a few weeks without eye makeup! But I plan to wear light sunglasses with readers at the bottom, so I can at least go to work and not look horrible!

You'll be able to put makeup on using a magnifying makeup mirror. Works great!

I was told one week after cataract surgery for eye make up I did not specify mascara.

I am 70 and indeed a Grandmother. I am having cataract surgery tomorrow, I was hoping I could wear mascara in a couple of days. thanks for info!

Me too! I have pretty sunglasses!

Risk is greater when removing makeup too I would think. It stings occasionally when using the drops so I'd imagine it would be even worse with makeup remover near the eyes. If you make them sore, you'll rub them more. I had mine be done Tuesday and going to a wedding in two weeks-not sure if I'll wear any yet

I'm 71, and just finished up with my second eye...multifocal lenses. I was worried about how soon I could put on shadow & mascara after. I'm waiting until after I don't need the eye drops. Quite honestly, being free from eye makeup isn't bad at all....no one else really notices or cares. Kinda pops the vanity bubble! Some people say I look ten years younger without all the added eye stuff.