Hi, I have an eleven years old daughter. She has been having vision problems for some time. Therefore I took her to see an ophthalmologist. After the exams, he proposed a solution. We are to choose between contact lenses and eye glasses. Since my daughter is against the glasses, we are planning on taking contact lenses. The thing is, I heard that they can have a negative affect on the eye and cause an injury. Do you have some advice, so we can make the right decision?

Hi, contact lenses can help the eye vision. However, they require a special care. Cleaning and rinsing are very important. If these conditions are not satisfied, an infection may occur and even worse scenarios can happen. That is why it is important to carefully read the instructions on maintaining the contact lenses. You should also follow your daughter’s doctor’s instructions and keep his appointments. The injuries of the eye are usually connected with rigid lenses. Nowadays, the improved soft lenses are mostly used. They lessen the possibility of an eye injury and have a number of other advantages. But, if there were to come to any kind of injury, a cut, burn or an infection, an immediate visit to the doctor is required. The contact lens must be taken out and inspected under a microscope. Also, a thrall examination of the eye must be performed. After the injury of the eye is treated, the doctor will prescribe a new set of lenses. I would advise you to talk with your daughter about the responsibilities that contact lenses demand. If you think that she is ready to take good care of her lenses, than they would be a good choice.