I have health problems lately and my doctor decided I need antibiotics. He said that medicine would help my body fight against illnesses. That is why he prescribed me Rifadin, saying that I should use this therapy for a while. I would like to know if this is antibiotic really, because I have never heard anyone used this as antibacterial therapy. I want to know chemical and physical description for this drug, so I would appreciate any info about Rifadin.

RIfadin contains 150 to 300 mg of Rifampin per one capsule. These capsules also contain as inactive ingredients and cornstarch, gelatin, magnesium stearate and titanium dioxide. Beside capsules, Rifadin came into injection form, and its ingredients are a little bit different. Since I believe your therapy contain capsules, I am not going to explain those for injections form. This is a semi synthetic antibiotic derivate of Rifamycin. Your drug is red-brown crystalline powder, very slightly soluble in water, at neutral pH. Important with this as for any other antibiotic is that bacteriologic cultures should be obtained before starting therapy. This is used to confirm the susceptibility of the organism to be resistant to Rifadin, and it should be repeated through your therapy. If test shows resistance to Rifadin, you will not respond to therapy, and drug regimen should be modified. I believe your doctor made all tests before he prescribed you this medicine, so you should not be so much worried.