I have heard that sometimes emotions can fuel obesity as well. I know so many people who tend to eat more when they are upset, anxious, or sad. I cannot understand this and I wonder could it be just an excuse to eating huge amount of food. Then after they eat too much, they may feel bad about it, which I hate to hear. Can you tell me does psychical condition really affect obesity, and who is at risk?

It is common question nowadays, who is at risk for becoming obese. The number of people who are obese is rising probably because of diet habits. About 1.2 billion people in the world are overweight and at least 300 million of them are obese. Interesting is that obesity is one of the ten most preventable health risks. It is also interesting that women are slightly more at risk for becoming obese than men. Race and ethnicity also can be risk factors in adolescents, because obesity is more common among Mexican Americans and African Americans. Obesity is bad news for both body and mind, and it should be prevented, or treated if it happens. Problem is that might make a person feel tired and uncomfortable, and it can wear down joints and put extra stress on other parts of the body. When a person is carrying extra weight by being obese, it is harder to keep up with friends, play sports, or simply walk. Obesity is also associated with breathing problems such as asthma and sleep apnea and problems with hips and knee joints that may require surgery, so definitely it is not health to be obese.