I have a friend, very good friend of mine, who is obese and overweight. I was wondering if there is someone, who might give me information about this problem. I wish I could help my friend, to help him adopting a healthier lifestyle. However, first I have to understand what is obese and what is overweight. Can you tell me if there is difference, or that is the same problem?

It is important to know that having too much body fat can be harmful to the body in many ways. Being obese and being overweight is not exactly the same thing, as you might thing. An obese person has a large amount of extra body fat. It is not the same term as overweight, which means few extra pounds. Obese people are very much overweight and they are at risk for serious health problems. To determine if someone is obese, doctors and other health care professionals often use a measurement called body mass index. First, doctor measures a person's height and weight, and then use these numbers to calculate another number, the BMI. Once the doctor has calculated a child's or teen's BMI, he or she will plot this number on a specific chart. This is done to see how it compares to other people of the same age and gender. A person with a BMI above the 95th percentile is generally considered overweight. Other way, person with a BMI between the 85th and 95th percentiles typically is considered at risk for overweight, and obesity is the term used for extreme overweight.