Hello, folks. My neighbor was diagnosed lactose intolerance. She complained how she got diarrhea every time she drank milk. She also had gases and abdominal cramps. I would like to know what main risk factors for Lactose intolerance are. Can anyone help me with this? I would be grateful for your assistance.

Hello. There are several risk factors for lactose intolerance. First one is aging. This condition usually starts after age of 5. The condition is uncommon for babies and little kids. If one has diarrhea under the age of 1, it is usually caused by another problem. It is also related to ethnicity. It is more common for blacks, Asians, American Indians and Hispanic Americans. Premature born kids have more risk for developing this condition. It is caused by reduced level of lactase at this age. I hope this helps.