Hi, a few days ago, I had a surgery. My leg was operated because of the bone injury. I use roxicodone but it still hurts terrible. I was wondering if dilaudid would help me more, and if it has any serious side effects. So, roxi or dilaudid? Any suggestions?

Hi, from my personal experience, dilaudud is one of the best painkillers, but it can lead to mental and physical dependence. It also has some side effects like constipation, drowsiness, anxiety, dizziness and fear. This is the reason why I had to stop using dilaudid, but maybe you won’t have these problems. I know about some people who had even more serious side effects like faintness and fainting, flushing, failure of breathing or heartbeat, hallucinations and low or high blood pressure. Now I’m using roxicodone, and it is less effective for me, but at least I don’t have any side effects. I use roxicodone in combination with acetaminophen (percocet) because it is much more effective this way. Between roxi and dilaudid, I think that dilaudid is better for your condition, but you should consult your doctor anyway. This choice depends of which medicine is working better for you, because every patient is different.

I have been on high doses of Roxi for a few years now for cronic
pain of AVN and after having my hips replaced.I was so tolerant to
Roxi,so I switched to Diladid the other day.I have to say that I feel it
is less effective.I feel dizzy every now and then also.Is Dilaudid similar
to morphine?I am also totally tolerant to that medication ,so I'm just
wondering if it's some how related?I think I'm going to switch back to the
Roxi.Everyone is different in their response to certain meds.Also I have been on Methadone,which I just read actually increases the effectiveness
of these drugs and can actually be dangerous when taken together.Is it
just when taken in high doses or altogether?Any information would be greatly appreciated.Hope this helps.

I know this post is old but just in case anyone does a search and finds it for info. To the guy above DSLDAW, Methadone does not increase the effectiveness of dilaudid or oxycodone (the actual medicine in roxicodone). Unless you mean the breathing depression etc then yes it increases those but it would be the same effect of adding more dilaudid to your dose. If anything honestly being on methadone depending on the dose because of how strong it binds to the receptors could cause dilaudid to not or rox to not "feel" effective to you. Also to answer your other question dilaudid is similar to morphine in it is a semi-synthetic derrivative of morphine. However being tolerant to morphine would not make you tolerant to dilaudid as dilaudid is a medicine they tend to give people tolerant to morphine or if they have a allergic reaction to morphine. Reason being dilaudid is around 8 times more potent mg for mg than morphine. As well as being a semi-synthetic as stated above which could cause your not to have the same allergic ractions as to morphine. Like I said i know the post is old, but if anyone finds it I hope it helps someone out or maybe the original poster will find it again.