Two months ago I felt some strong pains in my middle left abdomen.
I didn’t know what is causing it and it past about a week before I contacted my general practitioner.
Final diagnosis was acute pancreatitis. My pains were so strong that one time I even faint out for a moment.
Doctor said that my pancreatitis is caused probably by alcohol.
It could be possible because I drank a lot since my wife died and it damaged my liver and my pancreas.
He scheduled me for operation a week from that day and he told me I should ‘till that day use some drug called Dilaudid every day in 2mg doses to relieve my pains.
What side effects should I suspect?

Dilaudid is an analgesic narcotic with an addiction liability similar to that of morphine but it is approximately 8 times more potent on a milligram basis than morphine.
It is commonly prescribed for the relief of moderate to severe pain.
That means that you are really having some strong pains because morphine isn’t enough for you. It is the drug that affects your nerves.
It inhibits ascending pain pathways in central nervous system and that’s why your body is behaving like there is no pain involved.
You must remember that you should not consider using it after your operation because high dose tolerance leading to mental and physical dependence can occur with the use of Dilaudid when it is taken repeatedly.
Typical side effects of Dilaudid usage include anorexia, anxiety, constipation, dizziness and drowsiness but they occur only if overdosed.

Dilaudid for me was not as effective or strong compared to Roxi. The

main side effects of both are constipation mostly.My Dr. has had me on some form of Oxy for a few years now from complications from having

2 hip replacements.Go figure, I'm 34 now and an trying to hold a part time job as a mechanic.The Dr. I saw says that there is nothing wrong

with the X-rays,but why then do I have excruciating pains occasionally

in either leg,hip,and thigh areas?Is pain a sign of a problem, or is it all

in my head?

In response to the mechanic. I studied martial arts for twenty years obsessivly. I've had many broken bones, worn out everthing. I'm Fifty now and have such pain that I scream in all parts of my body. The doctor seemed very reluctant to give me any pain killers. First he gave me tylenol w/codeine 2. that made my pinky feel better :-D . I finally have him at perico something, 30 mg. Problem is I need three to relieve the pain. He says one is enough. I hope you find some relief.
God bless you.

DSLDAW - Check your back out. The pain in your legs could be from a pinchesd nerve. My shoulder and forearm always would hurt and Xrays and MRIs showed nothing. Finally, I had an MRI on my back and it showed the piched nerve / bulging disk.

foresta wrote:

What side effects should I suspect?

Take better care of your Pancreas. My Mom has been battling Pancreatic Cancer for @2 years. She would give anything to have a healthy pancreas.

the excruciating pains are likely a combination of mind and body. you had some traumatic things happen to your legs and that creates pain pathways. Even after they heal, you mind can have become so focused on those pathways that they remain open. And thus, you reactivate the pain. That said, there is also scar tissue that has built up. So your mind is predisposed to those pain sensors and it greatly exaggerates them. This creates a cycle of pain. So what's the answer? Physical therapy, namely deep tissue massage and myofascial release. (It's your fascia that's the physical part that replicates the pain. You also should do whatever you got to do to feel better about your self and your situation. Relax. Don't be afraid the pain is permanent. It can go away. But you need to work it out physically and emotionally. Sounds a bit weird, i know, but it's true. Check out myofascial release and john barnes. or check out the stanford protocol by dr. wise and dr. anderson. They talk about a different kind of pain than you're experiencing, but their methods translate easily to what you need. good luck!