Two days ago I had a cataract surgery. I wasn't expecting that after it I wouldn't feel any pain but I'm not ok. Can anybody who recently had cataract surgery tell me is it normal to fell constant itching and discomfort after it, please? And when will it stop. Thanks!

Don't worry. It's totally normal to feel that discomfort. I also had that annoying itching for few days after my cataract operation. I heard that patients often report mild discomfort and itching. It isn't anything serious. Postoperative inflammation and redness can be treated with eye drops. Anyway you can consult with your doctor.

Hi there,
Are you using eye drops that doctor gave you? Well your surgery is still fresh and it is normal to feel some discomfort. Considering the itching you have to be careful not to put pressure on your eyes because this can complicate your recovery. You will have to take good care of your eye and the area surrounding it. Do you have any fluid discharge? First two days of the surgery are very important and after this you shouldn’t be feeling itching and discomfort so intense. However if your discomfort continues the be on the same level you should visit your doctor and see if everything is done properly during your procedure.
I hope this helped a bit.

I have the same problem 5 months after surgery. Using Systane Ultra without preservatives. Helps a little, but still itchy and red

I HAVE SAME PROBLEM 6 MONTHS AFTER CATARACT SURGERY,STILL ITCHY AND DISCOMFORT A LOT.PLEASE HELP ME IF ANYBODY RECOMMEND SOMETHING TO TREAT ITCHING AND DISCOMFORT.

I too have the same itching and discomfort after cataract surgery. I wish I had never had it done now after 4 months.
I also experience a very low intolerance to bright light and am unable to watch TV or use a computer for more than an hour.
I hope this will eventually diminish but my gut feeling is it won't. Has not improved for 2 months now. If you are planning to have this surgery think again... and my eyesight is slightly worse now,... but colours are indeed brighter. On balance I would swop my cloudy vision for the normal feeling my eyes used to feel like.

Had my eyes done in oct still itch

i use naphcon a

sand itching stops in 2/3 moi dr was no further hhelp vision is great though

I am 3 months after cataract surgery and my eyes are very itchy and watery all the time.   I have tried to clean my eye thoroughly and sometimes that helps for a little while but it comes right back. people report the problem but no one ever comes back to say it got better or it went away!!!!

I agree with you. I wish I had never had the surgery. Will still need glasses and in great discomfort aover a month later.

I had my eyes done 4 weeks ago and I have a lot of itching and discomfort. Hope it will stop soon or I'll go nuts!

It's now 2 months since I had cataract surgery and I'm still feeling a lot of discomfort. I have dry eyes and a lot of astigmatism. Just got new glasses so I can see better but don't feel any better. Optometrist is now referring me to a Specialist surgeon to get pugs put in my eyes. Wish I had never had this surgery. Val

I just had the surgery too and I'm going crazy from the itching and eye drops. I don't know what I'm gonna do if it doesn't go away. Its unbearable and I have to return back to my job as a phlebotomist in a little over a week. There is no way I will be able to do it if this continues.

It never will go away. I and 4 others I know have the same problem. I feel it is caused by laser burning of the eyelash line. Doctors are of no help.

I've been searching online for help for my mother.  She has had both her eyes treated for cataracts.  The first operation was painless, but left her with flashing, eye artefacts in her sight and a very itchy eye which feels as though it has a hard contact lens in it.  Her second operation was very uncomfortable but her sight is a lot better, but the itchy eye problem has spread to the second eye and she also has the impression of a hard contact lens.

I have searched and searched for answer, and the two things I found I thought I should share.  Apis Mel is a homeopathic remedy.  I put homeopathics under the banner "might help, can't hurt" and so plan to try this although I am having to order it.  The other is that I found a webpage written by a surgeon who treats all his cataract patients for dry eye syndrome after surgery and reports good results.  He uses something called "Soothe" which he also gives the name "Alimera".  I am searching for this and have written to the manufacturer to see if it is available in the UK.  

I hope this is helpful to someone else!  I will report back if we find and use these products.  Meanwhile my mother is getting some relief from cucumber slices on her eyes, and chamomile tea bags, used alternately.  They help to stop her feeling like she wants to scratch her eyes.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

I had eye surgery 5 months ago, i use Muron ointment, it helps alot. Also hot baths, for some reason the steam gives some relief.