Hi. I'm 34 year old male and I have some questions to pose.
Even though I'm only 34 I look much older. This is probably caused by puffy bags under my eyes and expressed droopy eyelids.
I don’t know what could I do about this.
I'm living with this over that five years and now, I'm very determine to correct this.
I heard about some operation called blepharoplasty and I was wondering what kind of operation this is and what kind of treatment should I suspect?

I know some details about this I don’t mind sharing them with you.
Blepharoplasty is a cosmetic plastic surgery procedure that removes fat and excess skin from the area around the eyelids.
Patients who undergo blepharoplasty generally wind up with eyes that look younger and more alert.
It can be performed on the upper lids and lower lids, at the same time or separately.
You shouldn’t worry about the operation it self because blepharoplasty is most often performed as a day case, with no need for an overnight stay in hospital. The operation lasts one to two hours, less if just the upper or lower lids are being done.
You will probably receive a list of instructions to follow after your surgery and some of them are that you will likely be advised to keep your head elevated for several days after surgery. Also, your plastic surgeon may recommend that you use cold compresses or cold packs to help reduce swelling. After a week or so you will feel no symptoms what so ever.

I am responding to your last line which says after a week or so you will feel no symptoms whatsoever.
I find that to be in very poor judgement. I have actually had blepharoplasty recently, and was not at all prepared for the downtime and recovery period. This is major surgery, not to be entered lightly. I'm hoping in time it will be worth it, but at 3 weeks post, I wish I hadn't done it. I had major swelling and some bruising for about 10-14 days. I had a problem with my stitches, requiring them to be taken out a day early, and still have swelling and redness in one of my eyelids, that may take quite some time to resolve. I have thickening of my incision line, that may take weeks or even months to resolve. my eyelids are still somewhat tight. I had to buy tinted glasses to wear to work for the first week or so after surgery, as I looked so bad. Every surgery has risks, ie infection, scarring, poor results, allergic reactions, and others. to say that someone will 'feel no symptoms whatsoever' is insane!!
just thought you should know.

Oh there can be side effects and complications with any surgery, that is why you have to research, talk with different doctors, and with those who have had the surgery.

Ask each doctor for before and after pictures of their actual patients and in some cases actual clients of the doctor will be willing to discuss their out-comes and experiences.

No, you are still going to be healing after a week and everyone is different for sure! But the worst is usually over by then.

I found with my surgery that the first few hours the incisions were itchy and somewhat painful, but ice packs and keeping one's head elevated, alleviated much of the discomfort and I just sacked out in bed and ate snacks and watched some TV...don't overdo the TV watching the first day at least..eyes grew sore.

If you are relatively young and the skin under the eyes is elastic enough, the doctor can make an incision on the inner lower skin, with no stitches and thus, no visible scar..but you have to be careful about bending over or picking up heavy objects for awhile....I was playing with my cats and bending over to pick up toys I was throwing caused some minor bleeding to occur.

Your best bet for this type of surgery is a Doctor schooled in the workings of the eye and surrounding tissues, as they take into account the pulling of skin and muscles and take that into mind in placing incisions and removing skin and fat...you don't want too much fat taken out as that results in hollows under the eye. Nowadays good doctors, rather than taking out all the fat, rearrange it to lie better under the eye.

Do you homework and I believe you will be happy with results. Mine made a big difference and such surgery will keep your eyes looking great for a long time, if not for life. :-)

I had blepharoplasty surgery 10 days ago, and whoever said that "you will be symptom free after a week" should not be allowed to post anywhere on any topic because that statement is completely untrue. For starters, I had a bad reaction to the anesthesia, and got sick all over the recovery room (my surgery was performed in an outpatient facility of a hospital). Additionally, the anesthesia had the weird effect on me so that I could not go to the bathroom for about 10 hours, resulting in a nasty urinary tract infection.

As far as my eyes go, I am still waiting for alot of the swelling to go away, and when I follow my doctor's orders to massage the scars on my upper eyelids, the pain is excrutiating. Additionally, the stitches underneath my eyes, which were supposed to disintegrate on their own, are still there, causing tightness and pain. My eyes are still purple and yellow to a degree, so I haven't been able to go out, and still look somewhat Frankenstein-ish.

While I think eventually I'll be happy with the results of this surgery, saying that someone will be "symptom free" after a week is an absurd statement. This is not surgery to be taken lightly.

Healing rate depends on many factors including age, fitness level, general health, how easily you bruise, allergies etc. I am a 34 yr old male and in very good shape. I workout 6x a week and have very little body fat.

I had lower blepheroplasty done exactly 3 days ago which lasted about 2 hours. It was done as an outpatient procedure with local anesthesia. I was awake and could feel them pulling and tugging the entire time.

This is probably not very typical, but its only day 3, and aside from tiny swelling, I am almost completely recovered. I'm guessing its because I am relatively young and in good shape. No bruising what so ever. I also did a LOT of research to find a good doctor in my area. Their techniques have a lot to do with your recovery process as well. Anyway, I'm extremely happy with my procedure!

I had a facelift on May 6, 2008. It's been three months and I'm looking good! The first two weeks were really rough - I don't think I had done enough research to know that this is major surgery and not easy. The bruises were gone in about a week, most of the noticeable swelling gone in two weeks. My ears still hurt at times - I think the ears were the worst thing about it. I slept sitting upright for about two weeks, then had to sleep on my back for several more weeks because it hurt my ears to lay on my side. I still have to get the pillow just right under my ear to keep it from bothering me.

There are "folds" or "pleats" behind my ears which my doctor says will go away completely eventually. I wear my hair so that it covers this area.

If anyone is thinking about having this procedure, I would advise you to research, research. Try to talk to someone who has had it done. And let your hair grow for several months before surgery if it is short now.

At first I thought "what have I done to myself?", but now I know I would do it again, and that it was worth the discomfort and depression that I felt the first few weeks.

I'm 69 years old and look more like 45 now. My main problem was sagging of my neck and lower face. I've never had many wrinkles, just that pull of gravity! I'd be glad to answer any questions or be of help to anyone who needs it.

8) hiya all thats interested.
I had my upper eye lids done 1 week today and i look and feel ok.
the first few days i was swollen but put plenty ice packs on which seamed to stop any bruising.I had really sagging eyes and already you can tell my eyes are wider and my face appears younger i dont look as tired,So if you are thinking about having this done i would say go for it it is worth the short time of discomfort.

:-D i just had my upper eyelid surgery last two days and is now recovering at home, i could say dont scare evryone if you have a bad experience about your surgery. mine now is swelling but very very normal and subsiding its swollen state, after my surgery the assistants put ice pack on my eyes, then i also did put some ice bags at home and just rest. my vision is very ok too. im 26 female by the way. at the operation, i didnt even felt any pain at all, just one tiny pain puncture due to the doctor had to inject anestesia but after that the procedure was done very safely and painless.i didnt even notice until the doctor told me it was finished. all through out the operation it had to be the doctors skills and for those who had bad experience then it depends on your health and the surgeon itself dont go just posting here and scaring the hell out of everyone coz this surgery is safe. it will only be done in an hour or two depends if u are considering lower and upper eyelid. u will also be advised of painkillers and rest but no biggie, its just like u put a little extra weight on your eyes after surgery but results are appreciated. i suggest u get a good surgeon and it will all be good coz people who posted here that had a bad experience might had a bad surgeon lol :-P

? I had an upper eyelid surgery performed Tues. I don't know what I was thinking; but I had no idea that I would look this bad three days out. There is NO WAY I would leave the house. I do believe that ultimately the operation will produce great results, but I honestly thought (based on the experience of friends) that this was no big deal. I took off work for this week, but have now had to cancel committments at the beginning of next week. Ok--here is the question. I have had no pain- none- and only moderate swelling, and feel fine. But, my from the top of my upper lids to my cheeks (it kind of forms a v under my eye), I have terrible bruising, like the blood is draining into my cheeks. Very dark purple. I have been serching on the internet, but have not seen many pictures showing this degree of bruising under the eyes for someone who has had an upper eye lift. I have not been in bed during the day, have used ice, and otherwise followed the Dr's instructions. Has anyone heard of or had this experience with the bruising? Some parts are so purple that I cannot imagine that they will be gone in 10 days. Help!

I'm glad to be reading all your posts I have been thinking about it and thought 1 week was to good to be true not excersing for a month freeks me out and trying to stay out sun for 6 months that will be hard I live in texas

Today is exactly one week to my upper and lower bleph and I had last upper stitches taken off today.  I only took one pain killer in the recovery room and after that none was needed at home.  The shock of seeing yourself stitched, bandaged, swollen, bruised just added to the
I don't feel good but really, it was not bad at all for the first couple of days - just boredom from keeping eyes closed
and iced every 15 minutes, head elevated and in bed resting your eyes. So no reading, TV or any activity. Oh, one thing
that no one mentioned, even my friend who did extensive face lift... my doctor who is ranked the top 5 in USA and his
practice is in a well known tony area hospital,  told me to take "arnica montana". Available at health food stores - tiny
pills that dissolve quickly... they prevent bruising and swelling. I had never heard of it but the girl at the store knew
exactly what it is for and found it. I think it helped a LOT. I had only two tear drop type shape in deep purple next to my nose and
after day 3 a bit of yellowish bruising that lasted 2 days.  It definately helps to have a good doctor and follow good
directions in pre and post op.  My surgery was $5,000  and I was completely knocked out during surgery. I didn't go with
the surgeon my friend who had work done, recommended - because on research, he didn't get all 5 stars and she had
lost some feeling in some small part of her face. So I went for a surgeon that had a lot of good feedback about his skills
But it is still only 6 days after all. Right eye is still red and watery looking which worries me. Otherwise I can do pretty
much everything except wear contact lenses and put on eye makeup.

I had blepharoplasty two weeks ago and even as expected, bruising and swelling, I also felt so depressed looking at myself in the mirror.I took pictures of me using my iPad daily and somehow this helps. I see improvements daily although there are days, swelling seems to be more evident. I guess this will be the case for the next few months. I am fine with it because I can see the better looks from before, that is the removal of the drooping lids. Surgery was not painful considering I was awake the whole time. Apart from pieces of advice already posted, I would just like to add: Expect the ugly phase to recovery . If you do, you will not be stressed out. Think positive after all, am sure anyone who submitted to this surgery did a thorough research beforehand.

i have just had blepharoplasty on my upper lids only 1 week ago,i get stitches out tomorrow,i can honestly say, i have had no pain at all & bruising & swelling has almost gone enough when i have my reading glasses on you can notice nothing only my steri strips along the stitch line.i know everyone is different,but i wish i had done it yrs ago i am 58 yr old women.i couldnt believe that i had no pain with this op.

hi, i am 58yrs old and in january i had a facellift and blepheroplasty on upper and lower lids. Took a while to feel confident enough to go out (due to bruising) but honestly now i would say it is the best thing i have ever done!. Last week i went in for some revision of scar tissue around my eyes, which was a very small lump, just enough to make it awkward putting make up on, and i go back on friday to have the stitches out. 2 lovely black eyes at the moment but nothing that my specs dont hide. Am really pleased with the results and wish i had had it done years ago.