Hello, folks. I have some troubles with my eyes. I must admit that my doctor recommended me a surgery. This procedure is called vitrectomy. However, I am having some second thoughts. I would like to know how much this procedure is safe. I would appreciate all your advices. Thanks in advance.

Hello. You should tell this to your ophthalmologist. Vitrectomy is a common procedure. It is usually done in general anesthesia. In some cases, there can be exception and be done locally. I have read something about vitrectomy causing cataract. I am not sure whether this is true. I am sorry I don’t know more details. Perhaps, someone else will. Good luck!

Hi

I suffered a heavy knock to my temple thatndamaged the 'springs' that hold the natural lens in place. As a result the lens and lens support mechanisms had to be removed from the eye - this is a complex process as the injury caused a svere cataract) previously the eye had been good). The lens broke up on removal and much of it fell back into the main body of the eye.

Next stage - the vitrectomy. Without it I would have no vision in the eye and would probably lose the eye due to flutuating pressure changes.

I have recently had a vitrectomy. Do not get it done unless it is absolutely the last option. Your eye will never feel the same again. I had the unfortunate luck of running into, in my opinion, a profoundly incompetent doctor in Fort Worth named Gary Cowan who told me that i "should" have my distrotion taken care of, that i "should" not lose any acuity and that my eye "should" not have a scar. I have a scar, i became virtually unable to see out of the oeprated eye and my eye socket has never felt the same. And, to add insult to injury, my distortion is even more pronounced now than before the operation, Again, in my opinion, definatley don't do it unless you are willing to los more sight and experience more distortion. And definately, in my opinion, do not have anything to do with Dr. Gary Cowan.