Hello! Could you tell me something about silicone oil use in vitrectomy? My sis had retinal detachment almost 6 months ago and though she had scleral buckling it happened that her retina detached again and now she is hospitalized and is scheduled tomorrow for some other retina surgery and as much as I understood they are going to use some silicone oil to repair her retina. I never heard before that silicone oils is to be used in such conditions and would like to hear how silicone oil is to be of help here? Thanks!

Whenever it comes to the silicone oil use in retinal detachment conditions it almost always means that the patient's condition has got somehow complicated. In these cases usually some air, gas or silicone oil is being injected into the vitreous cavity so that retina could be pushed against the eye's wall in which manner in fact it is to be reattached. The air and gas are to be absorbed well by the eye and so they usually are well replaced with fluid normally produced by the eye but when the silicone oil is injected it needs to be removed after some time or precisely after the retina is reattached effectively. Anyway my dad has the same problem with this retinal detachment and he once also had this silicone oil injected but few months after this surgery was performed he had retinal detachment again and had vitrectomy done and he is doing ok now.