Went through a 3-level ACDF (C4-7) in June 2006 and suffered all the tortures of the damned, much like what I've been reading here. Progress has been slow and my energy level seems like it will never return, but I'd do it again in an instant. My worst day now is less painful than my best day a year ago.

One problem that causes moderate to severe pain is a combination of muscle spasm and severe tenderness along the muscles that go from the clavicle to the mastoid process (the bump behind the ear). It's called the sternocleidomastoid (or SCM) muscle. Some of the symptoms caused by a strained SCM muscle include dizziness, headache, sinus pain, tinnitus, sore throat, difficulty swallowing, and dry coughing, among other things. (Search "sternocleidomastoid" for more info.) The SCM muscles flex the neck and head forward.

I first came across this on a martial arts site. Many new practitioners of aikido or judo strain this muscle with resulting symptoms as stated above.

Self-massage helps, but I'm wondering if there's a specific massage therapy that would help.

Anyone else come across this? Or any other muscle-related problem/remedy?