Hi All-
Four weeks ago I suffered a pretty nasty Vertigo attack while I was driving. I heard this little snap in my right ear and it was like someone flipped a switch and everything just started tumbling. I could hardly see which way was up! Ever since that episode I've been continually suffering from a subtle head pressure in the back of my head (not headache) and lack of equalibrium. If I'm laying on the couch, I'm pretty good. But if I move my head, it feels really heavy, my equalibrium is way off, I'm dizzy (but not sick to my stomach feeling) my eyes feel like they've got little tremors in them, sometimes my ears will start ringing, I have tons of floaters in my eyes, I'm fatigued, my body feels really heavy, I have an ongoing jittery feeling, and I can't concentrate and sometimes can't speak real well. Sometimes I can feel my eyes and head get this lightheaded, vibration sensation and then another Vertigo attack will happen. My primary doctor says she thinks its some inner ear thing. I went to a so-called Vertigo specialist, who wasn't an actual doctor, and of course she said I don't have Vertigo. I've done antibiotics, which did nothing. I have an MRI scheduled for this week. I am absolutely panicked about what this might be, but I am almost resolved to bad news now because I cannot function like this for much longer! Can anyone give me any little ray of hope with the symptoms that I've described?

Oh, a couple other tidbits - I went to Mexico, swam in a dolphin tank, this inital Vertigo attack happened 3.5 weeks after getting home from Mexico. Also, 7 days after the symptoms started, I had what felt like sinus infection symptoms for 2 days then they went away.

Help?

I have the "exact" symptoms. Mine started when I rolled over in bed. I felt like I had the flu for 3 weeks after, then everything started to clear up until I had another smaller vertigo episode, which then I was confirmed to have BPPV (Positional vertigo). A couple of Epley Manuevers fixed that up but I still get the pressure headaches, ear pressure and eye twinges. I'm slated for a MRI and nerve conduction test next year. Hopefully all this c**p is over by that time. The pressure headaches and ear pain I thought might be related to a compressed occipital nerve but it's hard to pinpoint.

Have you had any improvement on your condition? Or found any answers.

I need help too!

God, I think that there is nothing worse than this. When I had a constant lightheadedness, I just was not able to stand this feeling anymore. I went to my doctor and currently, I am not taking anything because my doctor wants to set a proper diagnose for me. He told me that, according to my condition, he believes that Amitriptyline will be able to help me to reduce those effects, but we have to wait to see that. Also, those vertigo attacks can be really unpleasant. I had it as well and I was not able to explain to my friends what this, what has happened. 

Hi, I recently had an vertigo episode actually it was two weeks ago today and have had the same symptoms ever since. I was wondering what they found wrong with you, and if I should contact my doctor for an MRI. Thank you!

What tests have you had so far and what were the findings? Did you have a VNG (videonystagmography), rotary chair, computerized dynamic posturography, comprehensive hearing evaluation with distortion product and transient evoked otoacoustic emissions, tympanograms with acoustic reflexes, Vestibular Evoked Myogenic Potentials, etc? A real balance and dizziness center and specialist (doesn't need to be an MD to be a specialist in this and really know their stuff- in fact many are audiologists with advanced degrees such as PhD or ScD as well as some AuD). This is who would do the testing in an ENT office and tell the ENT what the diagnosis is in a good balance center.

I have had severe hearing loose and slight ringing in my right ear for about 3 years. About 14 months ago I woke up and felt a little dizzy/vertigo, though maybe it was my blood sugar, ate some food, but did not feel any better and I didn’t feel comfortable going to work. I went to bed and woke up 3 hours later feeling a lot better and went back to work.   6 months later I had another episode with vertigo while in Japan, woke up to use the bathroom and almost feel over and had to fight to walk to the bathroom, went back to bed and was able to sleep it off.   2 weeks late had another episode of vertigo in the morning that made me nauseated and was not able to walk, had to lie in bed and keep my eyes closed. It lasted about 1 hour.  A week later I had a severe vertigo attack while at the job site in Japan that sent me to the hospital in an ambulance. This was the worst one up until now with severe vertigo, nauseated, hat flash with sweating. They checked my vital signs and said everything was normal, also ran CAT scan and MRI at the hospital and said everything was normal.   About 6 weeks later I was flying back to Japan from Colorado and was on my first leg of the flight, we just got to cruising altitude and I was reading my electronic reader when it felt like someone hit me in the side of the head with a hammer (without the pain) and it instantly felt like the plane was nose diving to the right all out of control, it took me a few seconds to realize what was happening (the out of control episode lasted maybe 10 to 15 seconds and I could not focus), that I was having a really severe vertigo attack. I put my book down, laid my head back and closed my eyes praying that it would go away before I got on my 12 hour flight to Japan. Upon arriving at the airport it started going away and by the time I got on my next flight it was pretty much gone. About 6 months later I had another severe vertigo attack at my desk at work (this did not have the instant out of control feeling like I had on the plane, just vertigo, nauseated and sweating), this lasted about 1.5 hours. Then a month later while driving my truck with my wife with me I had a another of the vertigo attacks where it felt like the truck just turned upside down instantly and I had no control of what I was doing, luckily I was only driving 45 mph at the time and somehow was able to go off the side of the road into the bushes without flipping the truck over. This was the most severe attack that I have had and I am very scared because I had really no control of what I was doing when this happened. I do remember trying to put the brakes on and ease the truck to the right side of the road and my wife yelling at me “what are you doing” and then we came to a stop and a few seconds late some sense to what happened started coming back to me. The truck was stuck and we had to wait for a tow truck come pull us out. The vertigo lasted for about 1 hour. I’m really not sure what to do. I have seen a ENT doctor a few times and have had all the testing done and he says that I have had severe trauma to my inner ear and will have vertigo attacks here and there.

1. Blog post
https://www.steadyhealth.com/Dizziness__foggy_head_lasting_beyond_Vertigo_attack_t171953.html?utm_medium=web&utm_source=steadyhealth&utm_campaign=relDiSimDiscussions
I have similar symptoms. I had a craniotomy in Nov. to remove a benign meningioma (tumor) in the Cerebellum. About 1 month later, I started getting dizzy and nauseous (early January) but no problem with spinning and falling. Then Jan 19 I had my first vertigo episode. I was walking with my husband in Seaside Hights. We stopped for a moment to see something. I then turned my head left and then right quickly. Then it hit. Completely spinning, blurred vision and couldn't stop my fall forward -- didn't even put my hands out my husband said. Each time this happens (4 now) my head feels very heavy and I feel like I'm being pull forward and downward.
Anyway, I had a 2nd one that night and was hospitalized. I've been through ENT testing (VNG) but they say it's not BPPV (benign positional paroxysmal vertigo). Neuro-Surgeon says it's not a result of the brain surgery. Neurologist doesn't know much but I'm going today for a Carotid Ultrasound. I think it's the ear, but no one can find it. I've had two smaller episodes since Jan. 19th. All total, I have injured my face, needed stitches, mild concussion, got a bloody nose and I CANNOT DRIVE!!! Which is the MOST ***** frustrating thing. I'm unemployed and looking for a job but can't do that without a car.
I HOPE when all my doctors (4 now) get on the same page, they can figure something out.
I am taking Antivert 25 mg. (1 to 1/2 at least 3 times a day) and with Valium at night -- helps the AV work better? Don't know. Just want to cry.

Vicki in Central Jersey.

Hey now...this is exactly the way I feel day in and out..it started with a bad ear infection....took my meds..and months later had a tube put in my left ear...this helped with the ringing....that is all but gone....but I still have the crazy feelings...did you get help?...please tell me...bless you

Oh my goodness..that is horrible..but I will tell you I have felt quite the same for the better part of this year...had a tube put in my ear to help..the ringing is gone...but the crazy sensation has not left..I am 42 years old and do not want to spend my days hiding and laying on the bed or couch to ease it..have you had any releif.,?.,, god bless you...
jason

Have you had any answers? Do you still have these symptoms?

Yes I still suffer everyday with this..I think I mentioned the severe ringing in my ears stopped after an inner ear tube in my left ear..this took almost two months to clear up...I was also praying that the balance issue would do the same..but it has not...I often lay in the bed or on my couch just to get releif...not as bad at all when doing that..after reading your information..I am ready to take this situation to yet another doctor..I first went to a regular family doctor type for the ear infection..that is gone..then I saw my eye doctor just by chance..he sent me to a ent specialist..now ready for someone that can maybe lookin to this BPPV test or anything else..this is heart breaking..I am a very discouraged man right now...wow...thankyou so much

You mentioned valium..very helpfull drug..I used it for almost 14 years...my job was very stressfull at times...and it was very helpfull for sleeping also..I had got up to 4 10 mg tablets a day when I decided to quit taking them..I started tapering down..and eventually my doctor said it was safe to stop..I know that did not start this..the ear infection was a key player it seems...and get this..the same time my almost 67 year old father got an inner ear infection like I did..and he suffered a hit with Bells Palsey...and that was in January....he is just now almost over the paralysis. Golly...

i had these similar symptoms for a few years.saw everyone.i was spun,probed,mri'd,and cat scanned.no one had answers.

my dentist suggested i have a bloodtest for hepatitis.his suspicions were correct.and my liver enzymes were way out of whack.

nobody had any answers,but i was deaf in one ear,teethfalling by wayside,and prone to these stroke-like dizzy spells.i'm no scientist,but i know what i'm blaming it on.g'luck

I have had this problem for more than 13 years and I just recently discovered what causes it and how to fix it. If you have ruled out inner ear problems, then you simply need to massage the muscles in your neck to remove the knots. The knots in these muscles send mixed up signals to the brain about the position of your head. This sounds like wacko kook stuff, but it is that simple and it is amazing. I highly recommend that you get the book "Trigger point therapy handbook" (blue cover by Davies). It is cheap and it has excellent illustrations about which muscle knots (trigger points) cause pain or tension in different areas, and in this case, also dizziness and vision problems. The book also explains how to avoid accidentally massaging arteries (never massage a pulse).

The muscles you need to massage are called sternocleidomastoid, or SCM. They are on the sides of your neck and run diagonally from the base of your skull behind your ears, down to the front of your collar bone. There are two on each side, sternal and clavicular. The sternal one is the one that is more forward and to the outside, nearest the skin. The clavicular is deeper inside and harder to massage. It takes a couple of weeks of practice to be able to easily get ahold of all the areas that can have trigger points (tenderness), especially down low where they connect to the collar bone. They feel kind of thin and stringy where they attach to the collar bone but if there is any pain in them when you poke around down there, you have to massage those areas some more so it goes away. Don't do too much too soon. It's easy to say, but hard to do, because you want the problem to be fixed immediately. This post doesn't tell how to grab them or do the massage, it's just the notification of the solution. For details, either get the book or look up Youtube videos for SCM or sternocleidomastoid massage. You can do all the massages in the book yourself, you just have to be careful about the arteries in the neck.

There is massive improvement immediately but it has taken almost 3 weeks to have completely normal undizzy driving. It takes a while to get almost all the trigger points to not feel any pain when giving the muscles a squeeze all along the entire length.

You probably also have some sort of neck, tension headache, shoulder or upper back pains or tightness that can be solved with the trigger point massage.

After getting started on the trigger point massage on the SCM, the hard part begins... Trying to improve posture, stop leaning or thrusting the head forward, clenching the jaw, continually looking to the side, etc.

Over the past 13 years I have been to a general practitioner, three chiropractors, a neurologist, ear/nose/throat specialist, the Yale Balance Center, two sleep specialists (I have narcolepsy), and had neck X-rays and MRIs. None of them identified or helped the problem. No more paying specialists to solve a problem when they can't even figure out what the cause is. The information is out there. All the trigger point (also called myofascial) reference guides state that clavicular SCM trigger points can be associated with dizziness. You would think that the Yale Balance Center, which specializes in dizziness, would know this. They did not know what the cause was and diagnosed central nervous system disorder and wanted to prescribe drugs used for migraine.

Thank you for this information. It sounds like my symptoms and attempts at diagnosis are similar to yours. I was doing one last web search for hope before giving up and giving in to the pressures to see a psychiatrist for anxiety. I will be trying this out and hoping for the positive results that you have had. Again thank you for hope.