Hi I am a 44yo female.Woke up one morning and had severe neck pain and left arm numbess and tingles in thumb and index finger. NS performed acdf on c4-c5 in 1996. For the past 13 years have been fantastic. 6 weeks post op was able to look after 2 small children and continue with normal life.
November 2007 I lifted something very heavy and felt a sharp pain in my neck, after MRI scans showed I herniated disc c5-c6, had steroid injection and alot of medication and symptoms settled. Only had occasional arm pain and tingles. This unfortunately only lasted until October 2008 when symptoms returned even worse. NS performed second level acdf. Hospital stay was awful. Felt okay when I went home, had to have help with showering etc and main problem was pain associated with hip. Am now 6 months post op and feel like c**p. Still getting arm pain sometimes and head feels like its going to explode. Have complained many times to doctor about pulling feeling I have on my jaw and sore ear drums. His reply is it will take time to recover and takes longer second time round.
I keep a journal and recommend this to anyone having surgery because you can at least see any improvement youve made.
Have bad anxiety and hope anyone can help??

I wonder if massage therapy or acupuncture might be helpful.

Hi hoseclamps

thanks for the reply. Have you had similar surgery?

I pulled a muscle one time conducting repair underneath my car. My neck hurt whenever I turned my head or whenever I raised my left arm. Massage therapy helped me a lot in reducing the pain. But it still took me two months to completely recover. I am currently receiving massage therapy once a week and I have no pain. My condition was relatively mild compared to yours. I was just trying to be helpful.

I have had ACDF of 2 levels at C4-5-6 and can relate. My sis has had the surgery 3 times and now only has one level left unfused and she is now into massages therapy every week and sometimes 2 times a week. She cannot live without it. Now since I am almost 6 months post op, she has started me on the same massage therapy and the nurse/therapist thinks she can reduce my overall pain. NOT ALL OF IT though. We will allways have pain and need to learn how to live our lives in a way that will not make us have to go back for another surgery as you did. I feel for you and this is just a few of my thoughts for you to read.

Good luck and please ask me if you feel I can help.

Rob

Hi Rob
many thanks for replying. I just think its great to get support from people (like you) who have gone through the same thing. All the doctors say is how long recovery can be and to give it time. Sometimes I reckon they really cant understand what we are going through. Im going to see a psychologist today to help with my anxiety and pain management, so wish me luck.
Ive got to look into this massage therapy. Anything will help.
As for learning to live our lives in a new way I think the most important thing for everyone having acdf is to accept it.
Louise

acdf . hi all well i have been given 30% wpi, i still waiting to have mri on my shoulders ,to get the rest of my impairment, stiil in PAIN,it never gona stop,,so now i got to change my life style,i hate that,still on my meds an will be fr life,nothing more they can do for me, i have had acupuncture, an massage therapy,hydro, talk again soon Deb :-(

Hey Deb,

What is wpi? I feel for ya. At least my pain is under control with meds. I feel that my massage therapy has helped ease the spasm but I don't know about the realy deep stuff she has found. There is alot of things hurting like mad when she works on me.

Folks, if you think massage therapy is anything like a relaxation massage you are terrably wrong! It actually brings tears down a grown mans face!!! Not crying, but tears from PAIN!

If she can keep my spasms away, then I can cope with the "crunching" sounds in the neck, The every morning pain in my cervical area from the base of my skull down to T2, and the constant sharp stab of pain from just moving my head. Now I do not know if I can do it without Vicodin... I am filing bancrupcy and have lost all of my doctors and don't have anyone working on me now, so I don't know what to do.

Oh well, Hey, hang in there and keep me posted.

Rob

I haven't replied for quite awhile because I was waiting to find out what my new neurologist thought was wrong with me.
A short update...I had ACDF C-5-6 in Sept 2005. Since my body has become a constant pain machine. Everything I do is very limited. Weakness, Muscle spasms are unbearable and they move from one part of my body to the other. I have not been able to work for almost 3 yrs now.
Anyway now that I have you updated...I have underwent numerous brain and cervicle MRI's, EMG's, Brain wave test (sorry can't remember what they are called) and a spinal tap.
The doctor thought for sure I had MS but none of the test confirm it. He did however discover that at one point in time I have had a stroke. Of course nothing too severe or I would have definitely known!
Anyway my test show nothing but a Vitamin D defenciency. Can you believe it?????
All this pain after ACDF and nothing is showing up to be wrong! Disgusting! I don't want it to be anything bad but it would be nice to have another diagnosis besides Fibromyalgia so I won't feel like it's all in my head.
Well just wanted to give you an update.

acdf, hi Rob an KSF, wpi is whole person impairment, thats how the lawyers determine how much compensation you are able to receive, ksf good to hear you dont have ms, we are the pain monsters, i tried massage had to stop, to much pain made no difference an caused migraines an tears, even hydro did not help, so dont know now what to do, im waiting to here from insurance company,whats next on the list, they keep running me round in circles, going to have mri on both my shoulders , injury in there too,so as soon as i find out ill let you know,bye for now an hang in there ,Deb :-(

Deb-

I never could do massage therapy either. I tried deep massage several times and I hurt for days. Same after physical therapy. Just don't understand it. Do you?
In the US we have social security disability insurance. I filed for it about 3 yrs ago. They keep denying me over and over because there isn't any real diagnosis in my medical records to prove I an disabled. In a couple of weeks I go before a judge to see if he will deem me disabled. I'm not holding my breath.
To look at me I'm the picture of health but step inside and I'm cripled with pain and definitely disabled. I work around the house cleaning, sweeping, doing laundry but after 2-3 hrs my muscles are going crazy with spasms and I am exhausted!
I worked for over 30 yrs (I'm 49) and held high enough positions throughout my career to know that no employer would hire me and put up with the disabilities I have.
Anyway I guess what I'm trying to say is I know what it is like to be ran around in circles. There is absolutely no winning with this.
Keep us informed about the outcome of your MRI.
Best of luck.
karen

hi karen, im am so puzzled , i to want to know what is causing this excruciation pain,i like you cant do it either an all the massage, physical th, i can put washing in the machine but cant get it out it to heavy, cant hang it out to the line cant mop, cant reach high or hang low,feels like my arms are being ripped of my shoulders, im 44,an i don't look healthy, my pale skin dark circles under my eyes from not sleeping well, i walk like im a 100 cause of constant pain, .i use to smile be happy go lucky,ride my mountain bike, go fishing,camping,cant do any of it no strength always tired, cant walk very far,due to arms start aching, then shoulders, thoracic, god i could go on ,an on,i worked 29yrs some of it very hard labour ,over here, the company you work for have insurance, for workers, if they are found liable they have to pay till you are well enough to go back to work, but if the injury you sustain at work deems you disabled,only after proof by government doctor,the you get disability pension after you have no money left from suing the company for permanent impairment, any way ,talk soon an good luck,you will win in the end, you have doctors support, well i wishing hard you win,

Hi all,

I understand why most people cannot tolerate the massage therapy! IT HURTS! As a grown man of 45yrs, I can tell you... I can tolerate more pain than most but massage therapy brings tears to rolling down my face for the complete hour I am in there. The gal who performs this horrifying tortue is just a little thing who looks like she would struggle breaking an egg in the morning....WOW can she work it. I have not seen any results for any length of time yet, but am hopeing for it. I hurt for 3 days afterwords then I get to feeling better and my symptoms are still here reminding me that I am still in trouble physicaly.

Take care all,
Rob