My mother is diagnosed with schizophrenia. I have heard that patients who used Risperdal had efficacy establishing schizophrenia in short term, even 6 to 8 weeks. Anyway, I was wondering if this is good medicine for her. Her doctor wants to prescribe it. Though we checked she is not hypersensitive to this product, I want to know more about this drug and what I should take care about it.

The mechanism of action of Risperdal as with other drugs used to treat schizophrenia is unknown. However it has been proposed that this drug’s therapeutic activity in schizophrenia is mediated through a combination of dopamine type and serotonin type antagonism. It is well absorbed drug, with some things you should take care off. There is one potentially fatal symptom complex sometimes referred to as Neuroleptic Malignant Syndrome that has been reported in association with antipsychotic drugs. Clinical manifestations are hyperpyrexia, muscle rigidity, altered mental status and evidence of autonomic instability. Also Risperdal is associated with orthostatic hypotension and tachycardia. Sometimes side effect can be weight gain 18% compared to placebo where incidence was 9%. Beside that, Risperdal may induce orthostatic hypotension associated with dizziness, tachycardia and in some patients syncope. This happens especially during the initial dose titration period.