Hi, guys. A close relative of mine has been suffering from diabetes for years. Recently, he has been diagnosed with diabetic retinopathy. I would like to know something more about this condition. Is there any kind of self-help when it comes to it? I would be grateful for all your replies. Bye!

Hello, there. Diabetic retinopathy is one of the diabetes complications. It is a result of the damage of blood vessels in retina. In the beginning, there are no symptoms or they are mild. Unfortunately, it can lead to blindness. A person should consider diabetes seriously. He/she should check his/her blood sugar levels regularly. Eye exams should also be regular. Prevention is the only way. I hope your relative will be all right. Good luck with all!

Hello, my friends. The longer one has diabetes, the greater is risk for developing diabetic retinopathy. However, one can do some prevention measures. The first thing is to manage your own diabetes. You should be careful what you eat and when you eat. Take your medications and/or insulin regularly. Blood pressure and cholesterol should also be in normal range. If your cousin smokes, make him stop. People in his surroundings shouldn’t smoke as well. I hope this helps.

Hi, there. I would agree with the previous posts. Prevention is the best known measure. Your cousin should also avoid stress. Stressful situations often make people leave their routine. He should also be careful for any vision changes. If vision becomes blurry, hazy or spotted, a doctor should be contacted at once. In any case, regular eye exams are a must! Good luck to your friend. I hope he’ll be fine.