Hello! My father has recently complained that he cannot see clearly and that everything he sees is blurry. Yet, this wasn’t all the time but it came and went away from time to time. He is in mid-fifties and we all concluded that it must be because of his age. We made him go to routine eye check up and the doctor diagnosed him with hypertensive retinopathy. My father didn’t ask the doctor for no additional information so I had to find some myself. Yet what I couldn’t find, and really want to know is does hypertensive retinopathy worsens with age?

Hello! I don’t know what you read but basically hypertensive retinopathy, as the name itself suggests, occurs in people who have high blood pressure (hypertension). It results from the thickening of the small arteries. There are often no symptoms, though some people complain of blurred vision like your father. Lowering blood pressure can usually stop ongoing damage to the retina, although some damage that is already made can persist. Your father can avoid high blood pressure by getting regular exercise, keeping the optimal body weight, eating a healthy diet and doing everything else that his doctor prescribed. Hypertension usually does worsen with age, and logically the hypertensive retinopathy does too, but if he follows the healthy lifestyle and listens to his doctor there shouldn’t be any problems soon.

Hi! My aunt also has hypertensive retinopathy but her case is more severe than your father’s. She was diagnosed with it years ago but everything was well till recently. Few days ago the doctor found some areas of bleeding and swelling of the optic nerve and kept her in the hospital for further treatment. I am afraid that she will need some operation. Can that be true?