Hi, I have been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes when I was twelve years old. I am now forty years old. All of my life I have been very careful and listen to my doctor's advices. I eat a healthy diet, exercise and take my insulin injections regularly. My blood glucose level is ok. However, for the last few weeks I have been having moments when my vision gets blurry. I know that this is inevitable when you have diabetes, but I was wondering if you could tell me what is the treatment for type 1 diabetes blurry vision, since I haven't discussed this matter with my physician yet.

Hi, retinopathy is a very common complication of diabetes. In fact, almost every person who suffers from type 1 diabetes will in time develop retinopathy. There are two kinds of retinopathy: nonproliferative and proliferative kind. The second one is more serious and can cause serious damage to the eyesight, but happens very rarely. The blurry vision is caused by nonproliferative retinopathy. There are several treatment options that can help with blurry vision caused by diabetes. They all imply a kind of surgery done to your eyes. However, these surgeries are done with lasers, so the recovery period is minimal. You shouldn't waste another second, but go to your doctor immediately. The longer you wait, the lesser your chances for recovery get. Your doctor will refer you to an ophthalmologist who will assess your condition and determine the right kind of surgery in your case. I hope you will get your normal vision back again soon enough.