Hello, guys. My friend from class has diabetes. Yesterday, she wasn’t feeling well and she was administrated to the hospital. Later, I heard that she had diabetic ketoacidosis. I have never heard about this, so I would really appreciate if anyone could tell me what this is. Thank you in advance.

Hi, there. Diabetic ketoacidosis is a state when there is an absolute or relative insulin deficiency. It is characterized by hyperglycemia, dehydration and impairments in intermediary metabolism. As a result of this kind of metabolism, there are keton bodies that are present in blood and urine – ketonemia and ketonuria. Hyperglycemia is over 300 mg/dL, acidosis is with pH less than 7.30 and there are low bicarbonate levels. This condition is usually provoked by infection, irregular insulin therapy or a new onset of diabetes. Before the insulin discovery, the mortality was 100%. Nowadays, it is only about 2%. However, this is a serious condition. That is why diabetics should take their therapy regularly. I hope this helps.