I had a rather involved septoplasty, turbinectomy, and bone reconstruction about one month ago. Despite all the horror stories I have read, my recovery went very well!

Now I'll admit, the first 24-48 hours was a bit rough. I wasn't in pain (aside from the time I accidently hit myself in the face, which is not something I advise anyone to do), but I was extremely sleepy. I found myself dozing off and on for the first day, but it was admittedly nice to get a little sleep. I took my medicine on schedule to ward off any pain (I never experienced actual pain, just an uncomfortable pressure from the packing) and used a frozen gel pack on my cheeks and forehead to help ease the pressure. I was very hot for the first couple days, so I turned down the heat in my house to 65 degrees (in the middle of the winter), which seemed to help a lot, even with the discomfort in my face. Trying to eat was probably the biggest obstacle, but soft food like mashed potatoes and cream of wheat made everything easier.

The next morning I was sick and vomitting, which wasn't pleasant, but I was told to expect it before I went into surgery. Having the packing removed was definitely the most uncomfortable part of the ordeal, but once it was over, there was instant relief. I definitely still couldn't breathe, but I certainly didn't want to try anything too quickly. After sitting in the doctor's office for quite a while because I felt a little faint, I was finally able to go home.

I actually went back to work a mere 72 hours after surgery and worked three 12-hour days in a row. I was still pretty tired and found myself turning the lights off periodically when I found myself getting a headache, but other than that, I was fine. I even stopped taking my pain medicine four days after surgery. Wiping my nose was a frequent activity, but since I couldn't blow my nose for at least two weeks, I didn't find the nose wiping to be too obnoxious. I was able to open my mouth a little more by then, so eating wasn't as tough as it was the first couple days. Laughing was a bit difficult, which I found out all too quickly when my coworkers made me laugh. It wasn't the most comfortable thing in the world, but the laughs definitely made me feel better.

I progressively felt better and better as each day passed. After the first week, I almost felt like nothing had ever happened, minus the fact that I still couldn't blow my nose. I was using the saline nasal spray that my doctor gave me to keep everything moist and healing nicely and my face and nose were sensitive, but I didn't by any means feel poorly. The only thing that wasn't too pleasant was when I could start blowing my nose. The clots that came out were a little disturbing (I had never quite seen anything like them ever come out of a person), and they weren't always comfortable because I had to blow really hard to get them out, but it wasn't painful by any means. They came out each day for the next couple weeks, but then it was much less frequent.

It's now a few days more than a month after my surgery and I feel amazing. I used to have trouble sleeping and would wake up 8-10 times a night for as long as I can remember, but now I either wake up only 1-2 times or sleep right through the night. I finally don't feel tired all the time. Taking a deep breath without thinking about it was never an option before, but now it's like second nature. Even the ear congestion that I had before the surgery is magically gone.

Like I said at the start, I have read a ton of horror stories about this surgery, but I didn't think it was all too bad. If I had to do it again, I definitely would!

I am having a septoplasty and turbinectomy and he may change the shape of my nose in 12 days. Hope all goes welXD

Thank you thank you thank you for this post. My 16 year old daughter had this surgery on Friday. She's on Day 2 after surgery and she's mirroring your symptoms and treatment to a tee. We are keeping our fingers crossed that each day gets a little better. She's doing exactly what the doctor has told her and is taking a week off of school and work. Positive outcomes like this keep our spirits up.