My husband will have procedure for fixing a deviated septum in his nose, septoplasty. Most probably they will have to combine with rhinoplasty. He is having problems with nasal breathing his whole life, but now more then before. Anyway I am interested to know how long recovery takes.

After septoplasty patients usually go home the same day. There is discomfort to the nasal area for 24 - 36 hours afterward. Oral pain medications are generally effective in reducing the pain or discomfort; ice packs are placed around the nose and cheek area too. He will be able to resume reasonable activities after three to four days and he can go back to work after five to seven days. It is recommended to use nasal irrigations and nasal supplemental steroid sprays continuously until he recovers completely.

Hello osier,

as ronica said, septoplasty is usually done as outpatient or overnight procedure, because usually there are no complications or need to stay for monitoring in the hospital. As with most surgeries, the hardest part of recovery is immediately post-op, because of the pain, swelling and congestion. It might take around three days for this worst part to go away.

After this, pain subsides, but some swelling and minor congestion problems will still be present. They are treatable and do get better on they own and luckily, they are nowhere near the problems your husband is experiencing before the surgery. Swelling might be unpleasant, but it's better to be able to breathe properly.

Hi

I have just had this done in the past week, I was in overnight as they had to remove the packing from my nose the next day, this cant be done at home.

In all honesty this proceedure is painful, I had a general and a local and very much noticed the pain when they wore off. The first 3-4 days you feel groggy, very sore, not able to smell or taste, pain talking, smiling etc then it starts to feel congested, tight and stingy. Its now day 8 since my op and I am still having pain, but is more a bruised feeling, Im still having to sleep with 3 pillows at night as I cant breath through my nose otherwise.

It hasnt been pleasent and I am yet to have the splints removed so im sure there is more to come, but like your husband it will be worth it.

Please let me know if you have any questions, happy to help, goodluck to your husband