I am on day 6 after a tonsillectomy and septoplasty and honestly don't know what everyone was talking about. The pain for me is no worse than a sore throat. I have only had need of my pain meds (Tylenol #3) twice. I began eating mac and cheese, pudding, apple sauce, and chicken noodle soup the very next day. I even felt well enough to return to work as a medical assistant today. I feel great and look for it only to get better.

Guest wrote:

Consider yourself one of the luckiest persons in the world... In fact, I would go play the lottery tonight if I were you. haha

This has been the most painful and miserable experience if ever had!

John

Guest wrote:

Gotta tell ya I am 57 yrs old had them out 3 wks ago. I have had broken ribs punctured lungs and broken legs that hurt less. 3 days after surgery i almost bleed to death in middle of the nite as something pooped loose and mouth filled with blood. Bleeding faster than i could expel it clogged windpipe. When parametics arrived my BP was 80 orver 40 and i was going down for the count. Just tons of fun, all so they could check them for cancer which was negative. Now I cant taste any thing don't know that i ever will again. Can't swallow right. But the pain has subsided. I have cancer surgery for a tumor on my neck coming up in 2 wks. I figure that should be a walk in the park after the (little tonsil job) And be advised i did everything by the numbers exactly as i was instructed. The first thing other than water or tea i had was mashed potatoes and that was more than a week after the surgery. I lost 15 lbs in that time. But true confession I had a going away party for my tonsils before the surgery and hit the buffet really big so probably 8 of those 15 lost were packed on lol. Well good luck to anyone who is fullish enough to contemplate this surgery.

Guest wrote:

I spent one night in the hospital (at age 47) after tonsillectomy/septoplasty surgery, but overall I got through the recovery fairly well after being out of work for two weeks. By no means was this an easy recovery which ultimately cured my obstructive sleep apnea, but if you follow all of the precautions regarding eating and not blowing your nose you can definitely get through this operation with great, long-lasting results!! I had a lot of support from my parents with my diet and you just really have to take it easy for two weeks following surgery and be smart about what you eat and drink. Do not be afraid to do something that can make a huge and positive difference in your life.

Yeah, I agree consider yourself lucky...I had a tonsillectomy, septoplasty turbinate reduction done and I'm healing well at this point, but still, pain is there, day 8, but honestly, without my wife, I would've been dead in the water...she's an anesthesia guru(her profession)so I've had access to great IV fluids and awesome anti inflams with the occasional narcotic push...I'm not completely sure how someone survives this without staying the night, or hell, 3 nights in the hospital...then again, my tonsils that were removed were actually bigger than golf balls, very infected/necrotic, my sinuses/turbinates were completely scarred/closed up, so my breathing was next to nil, next to fighting off constant infections that had me feeling like I hadn't slept in months, which I hadn't, and fighting off flu like symptoms constantly....I will say this too, THE BEST SURGERY I'VE EVER HAD DONE AND COMPLETELY WORTH IT AT THIS POINT....I can't begin to explain how I went from feeling close to just calling it quits after seeing every type of specialist out there and then finally, one says, ya know, you need to have your throat/nasal passages looked at, I think your airway is being obstructed by your tonsils and i think they're infected....well, he was right, and my ENT saved my life, and I actually mean that...now in 8 days, I've slept better than I have in I don't know how long, granted it's not a full nights rest yet, I've lost 20 lbs already, and it's just an all over load off my shoulders...I feel like I can continue on with my life...so back to the original post, take all your pain meds, on time, every four hours, push for an overnight stay with a pca (patient control analgesia) and you may end up not only making the experience much easier on you, you may end up saving your life...;)

I am so happy to hear that people like you (and me) were able to have this surgery done and that it has made such a huge difference in our lives. I know you still have a pretty long road ahead of you to get back to feeling 100 percent healthy, but it has now been over a year and a half since my surgery and my sleeping and just my every-day breathing is way better. It seems to me that doctors want to push the CPAP machine on a lot of people which is good for some people, but if you can get the surgery done that is the real key to living a much more normal and healthy life in the long run. I did lose about 17 pounds leading up to and after the surgery, but be careful because I did gain it back pretty quickly after I started eating and drinking normally following the recovery stage. When I woke up from surgery I felt like I was born again, some of that euphoria has worn off, but I often reflect on just how fortunate I am to have gotten it done because my condition was unhealthy and may have taken some years off the end of my life. P.S.- a previous post mentioned not being able to taste any food, that happened to me too, but be patient, within about three to four months your taste buds should be back to normal. Best of luck to all who pursue this surgery, you won't regret it !!

I'm very happy to hear that you were able to get this surgery done like I did over a year and a half ago and that you are doing well. I think a lot of people would be better off getting the surgery done if possible as opposed to the CPAP machine because in the long run you will probably be much happier and healthier with the long-lasting results. I was elated when I woke up from the surgery and realized that my very long battle with obstructive sleep apnea was finally over. Some of the euphoria from those days has gone away now, but I often reflect upon the struggles I had with my condition and I am also just so grateful to my ENT for what he did, but I was able to kind of figure out over a long period of time and from doing some research on the internet that my tonsils and nose were causing the majority of my problems with my breathing. Be careful once you start eating and drinking normal again though, I gained back the 17 pounds I had lost pretty quickly unfortunately!! May all of you have the same success and results that we have had with this surgery, if you can get it done and get through it it will definitely make a huge difference in your life!

Two words for anyone having this surgery ; " Colloidal Silver". Buy a spray bottle form and spray throat every 1 to 3 hours after procedure. There is more than adequate research on the benefits of silver concerning post surgical application.

I am glad to read that people my age (47) survived this surgery. I am having all three tomorrow including turbinate reduction. I am prepared for a harsh recovery. I have lived with a severely deviated septum for a long time. I've been on a CPAP machine for 3 years now, without it I snore like a freight train and you can hear me through walls. I have chronic sinusitis. Even now as a type this I feel a sinus headache coming on. I have almost continuous pressure in my ears.  I once tore the cartilage off of two ribs on my right side and it HURT to breath for about 3 weeks. I survived Lithotripsy surgery. I had a local for a prostate biopsy, by far the worst pain I have ever been in, so that is what I will compare this upcoming surgery too. I believe the health benefits will greatly out-way the post operative recovery. most of all I have a positive attitude about that which I am about to enter into. 

I'm the guy who had the tonsillectomy and septoplasty (at age 47) now 2 1/2 years ago. You have made a great decision to go forward and have this surgery done. The recovery will not be easy, but as long as you follow the rules as far as what not to eat you should do just fine in about two weeks. Best of luck to you, I hope you have as much success with your sleep problems as I have had since the surgery, it has pretty much fixed my obstructive sleep apnea so that was pretty much of a life saver for me. Take care and be strong!!

I'm post op day 3 heading into day 4 from tonsillectomy, septoplasty, turbinate reduction and max balloon sinus. I can honestly say these past 3 days have been living hell!! No one warned me that the nose issue would cause tons of thick mucous drainage which just piss the empty tonsil space off. Not to mention all that drainage has made me so nauseous that I'm battling acid indigestion and vomiting still. My uvula is so swollen that when I puked it gets pushed forward and just about blocks whatever minute airway I have left (scary feeling until I figured it out) I'm down 10lbs almost because I'm lucky to get some water in and keep it down. I'm sure when there is an end in sight I can look back and say this will be worth it, but right now I can honestly say this has been the longest, painful past 3 days of my life and to those who had a easy breezy recovery I'll second stating go buy yourself a lottery ticket! Now sorry to deter anyone, but a heads up like this would of prepared me a little better.

I am on day 5 from this surgery and John, your response made me laugh so hard (well not really because that would be excruciatingly painful). I have to agree, if you thought it was nothing more than a sore throat, hopefully you did indeed play the lottery and are a millionaire.

I don't really remember exactly what my response was that you are referring to, but just be strong. If you are on day 5 or your recovery you are well on the road to getting well, the worst of it is behind you! Just keep taking your liquid medication and get as much sleep as possible, I will keep you in my thoughts.

yes, this person was the exception. i had my tonsils out at age 23 and it was the most painful thing i ever experienced. i had both my children with no pain block at all and the tonsillectomy was much worse than that!!!!

Agreed this sucks...I am only on day three. Up3, tonsilectomy and Septoplasty. So much pain.