So I had tonsillectomy and septoplasty done on April 6th. First off, I just want to say that the first three days were absolutely miserable, seeing as both procedures take a pretty big toll on you. Throughout the first week, my nose was looking good, and I could tell it was a lot more open than it had been before - which was good of course. My septum was severely deviated and almost completely blocked off my left nostril. Not only was it unsightly, it caused problems with my breathing. I was pleased with the results, until Thursday, the 12th. That day my nose looked completely different from the past days. The nostril seemed to almost cave in and my septum had the deviation again. I started crying because I was so upset that it looked just as bad as it did before surgery, if not worse! I went for my post-op that day to have my splints removed from my nose, and the doctor insisted that it was just swelling from the incision and that it would go down. From what I have read on the internet and from other people's experiences, their swelling went down within that week. I have been rinsing my nose with saline as well as applying Bactiracin consistently. I still have seen no changes though and my nose looks just as bad. I feel like the doctor got pretty defensive when I asked about the appearance of my nose changing and he kept insisting that it was swelling. I feel pretty much hopeless at this point that my nose will start to look normal or open up again. So should I just consider this a failed septoplasty? I go back for my next appointment on the 26th, and if it isn't any better by then I don't know what he will do. I feel like he will try to blame it on me. But I slept elevated every night, and followed all of the procedures as I was told. This just really sucks, I have wanted to have this fixed my whole life, and when I thought I finally did, it ended up not working. ): If anyone has any experiences similar to this or input pleaseee let me know! I greatly appreciate it!

Although I did not have the tonsillectomy I did in fact have a septoplasty and rhinoplasty done. I too am having the same symptoms as you. The first three days were horrible then got much better until a week after when my stints were removed. I had no problem breathing with the stints in but now that they are out my left nostril is caved in and I can't breath at all through it. I think my swelling is pretty much down but from what I've read it takes a while for it to heal. I also think my deviated septum looks much worse and if not more crooked than before. I am emotionally afraid and nervous as if I will have to have this corrected again. I too cry! I have not been to my month post op appt but too feel as if my doctor is a bit insulted when I ask. Ugh! 

Hello Amie,

How do you feel now? Swelling is gone?
I had a septoplasty 2 weeks ago, and I still I can`t breath from my left nostril very well (it was the reason of surgery).

Best,
Aidar

Hello Briprov,

How do you feel now? I hope swelling is gone.

Best regards,
Aidar

I had septoplasty 3 weeks ago problems with the right side of my nose breathing & infections all the time etc.

Surgeon said he was going to try straighten my nose at the same time n the results ov that are good :-) but im still unable to breath out of my right nostril same as before the operation :-( gutted as i thought i would be a lot better by now.

I seem to have been left with a bump on the bridge of my nose now & im sure it wasnt that bad before infact im sure there was no bump when i have re checked pictures :(

I know the surgeon said if i wasnt happy about how it looked i could get it sorted but thats not the reason i had it done in the first place but neither did i plan on looking worse

The though of having to go through it again scares me :(

i go back for my post op appointment on the 15th ..................im a very unhappy bunny at the moment

Lou

Hi Crashy,

I am shocked with your new bump. How come? I cant comprehend it.

I am unhappy with my septoplasty done in June (Dr. Ovchinsky). Breathing through my left nostril became better but still not very well.

I had my bump removed but eventually left nostril needed more attention from the beginning. I mean ex-ray results had to be reviewed 

more carefully to notice that the bump was only part of the problem. I think that it deviated more internally because I had been using  xylometazoline for a long time (15 years).

I missed the chance to solve my problem rightaway with a single septoplasty.

But I have what I have. I think I will have to undergo it once again (

Take care. Be strong!

Aidar 

I have no clue as to why the bump is there or my hump as im calling it maybe them straighting my nose has made the bump stick out more ? the more i look at it the more upset im getting :(I had a spreader done as well not sure what that was tho lolthis is going to sound rank but if i put the tip of my finger into my right nostril and just move the flesh out i can breathe through it fantastic.....so not sure whats going on there! I have visions of me going back on the 15th in tears :( & if i got to have it done again how long have i got to wait for another op as i waited nearly a year for this! thanks for the reply aidar

lou

I had my surgery a few months back and i have a bad deviated septum which i could see the bone/cartlige in my nose so i told my doctor about and he was very concerned and said let mynose heal a little more 2 months he said then he will see me back and go from their he said it will be a minor surgery to take care of it! if i was you i would try going to a new doctor thats has alot of experience with this.
Good luck !

Can I ask how you got on at your next appointment.. once the nose swelling settled did your nostrils/nose become more symmetical?? I ask because i just had a septoplasty 3 1/2 days ago but am not quite happy with the results. i too had a really deviated septum to the point where one nostril was completely closed off and turned out.. whilst there has been improvement i stll seem to have a bulge that is still blocking part of that nostril.. i did not expect the result to be perfectly symmetical, however expected a little more even result. I too have wanted this done my whole life, and  being a young women in my 20s its is a huge self esteem issue with me.. i have cried plenty too seeing the result to not be the best.. i still have to get the splints out, but it looks like my nose has somewhat reverted to the way it was :(.. how did your surgeon follow up??

I am also suffering from the same problem...
Even i have done septoplasty twice...