I am having all three procedures done the 23 of this month which is in one week and I am looking to see if anyone else as had all three done at the same time and how much pain and time for recovery am I in for. Am scared to death, I have read alot of Blogs on just the Tonsillectomy and the pain with it and not being able to breath and am thinking that I am having all three at once, WOW what have I got myself into, Please give me some advice to make this easier ! Thanks

First of all, I don't know why you would have your adenoids still, they told me adults don't have them as they disappear as you get older, so, what ws that other procedure? You will recover fine, it is a process and you will feel bad for a while, no doubt, but if you have been as sick as I was with the tonsils, this won't compare, when it is all over you will be glad,atleast I was! I don't know your situation but any surgery is detailed and requires a positive outlook and you need peace that you are doing the right thing in the first place, and expect to come out of it on top. my regards and prayers of course! Everyone is different and have diffrent pain levels and needs just be sure you have some help the first few days and ice chips, or warm stuff (unusual)like i did--it worked better for me, warm not hot! Sleep it off and swallow alot and dont' get dehydrated or you will get thrush like I did and that is soooo miserable! So listen to your body and it will tell you what it needs to recover quickly!

I would like to know how it went for you. I had septoplasty last year and am having tonsillectomy next week (3/21/07) and can't imagine doing them together. Considering your nose is packed for 4 days and you literally cannot breathe through it, it leaves your throat being the main source of air! That might frighten me. When my nose was packed, my husband popped popcorn about 20 feet away, and if I hadn't HEARD it, I never would have believed it - NO smell due to the tight gauze! Keep us posted.

it aint that bad worst of it is havin not being able to smoke cigs. but i juss gunna use it as an oppertunity to quiiit
but i only got my tonsils taken out its a p*****f cant talk the greatest im only 3 days in after surgery tho
BUT straiiiit up its all on ur body an hsit

Hi, my husband is day 5 post-op after UPPP, Tonsillectomy and Nose too (can't think of the name). Still in heaps of pain, especially at night and in the morning. I can recommend an ice pack wrapped in something for the throat, that seems to help. Also, the only 'food' he can swallow is liquid, such as an egg nogg or egg flip as we call it. He was very ill after the morphene on day 2 and the vomiting led to nose bleeds and throat pain. Hopefully it'll improve soon. I also recommend some form of throat anaesthetic spray to get you through in between the meds.

DONT DO IT! Split them up. You are asking for trouble if you think you can breathe through a healing throat. Recovery from one is difficult enough. My doctor advised me to split the two I had a successful recovery from the septo 6 weeks ago & toady is day 1 without tonsils. I feel like I gave myself a much better road to recovery.

hello all. i too am 3 weeks post-op (done 06/04/07) from a combined septoplasty, tonsillectomy, and turbinate reduction. i had these done due to chronic sinus infections and suspected obstructive sleep apnea. mine was done as out patient under general anestesia. i must say the worst part of the actual healing was the throat pain...i actually am still having some. the pain from my throat could be felt in both my ears and all my teeth and both jaw sockets, which surprised me. unlike most of posts ive read, i was actually able to breath through my nose throughout recovery. i had plastic straws holding my septum straight rather than gauze packing. unfortunately, like most of the other patients, having the splints removed was the absolute worst pain i have ever felt in my life. it quite literally felt like the Dr. was trying to pull my eyeballs out through my nostrils...way WAY worse than child birth! despite the pain, i did lose about 8 lbs post-op, and i am sleeping and breathing much better than i ever have in my life. energy level is improving every day! glad i had it done.

I had both done on the 18th. it was absolute hell, i'm skinny as it is and i lost eight pounds from not being able to eat anything. i was in so much pain and couldn't talk at all so the mom called my doctor's office and the nurse was super helpful. she said to chew gum right when you wake up (mornings and nights were the worst), then eat an otterpop (flavor-ice to all you midwest people) to numb my throat, eat peanut butter on white bread, then lots of fluids. the gum really helped, it hurts at first, but relaxes your throat. the pain you experience is due to muscle spasms where your tonsils used to be. it may hurt a bit to chew and swallow the pb bread, but it excersises your throat and fills you up. and finally, you need to drink a lot. you won't want to drink or eat but its very important that you do. if your throat is under used and dry, your scabs may fall off in large pieces leading to bleeding. if this happens, you will need to go back into surgery and start all over. which would be bad. if you do this, you will wake up one morning feeling FABULOUS. as far as the septoplasty goes, it was a piece of cake, my throat hurt way to much to mind my nose. but when they took the splints out.. oh my god. it felt like birthing a small child through my face. it hurt so bad. but you can breath afterwards! hooray! and of course, all this misery and discomfort was worth it. i will be able to breath normally for the rest of my life and no more snoring!!

I had all three done, at the same time two weeks ago today and I am STILL DRAGGING. I go to see my ENT in two days. I am still having a lot of facial pain radiating to my ears...pain and difficulty with swallowing...right side of my throat is far worse than left. My voice is still congested and I have pain with talking. I haven't slept through the night without waking up due to the pain since. Usually get up, take a Lortab, hot pad my neck, and drink warm fluids. So...end up sleeping half the day away. No energy. Is all of this "normal?" Should I be concerned? I really DO have an extremely high pain tolerance but this is kicking my butt!

I am starting to freak out a bit...ok... a lot. I am a teacher and have to go back to work in 4 weeks. Also, headed on an amusement/water park family vacation in 4 days. Will I be fully recovered in another month? Expecting too much to go (and have fun) on vacation?

Thanks for any input!

I too am having all three of these surgeries done on the 23rd of June. I am scared to death. I know it is the only option and I am looking forward to being able to breathe but all this is terrifying to me. I knew it was going to be very painful but I didnt know about the removal of the splints! That really sounds bad. All the talk about the scabs and bleeding is really freaking me out. It is a week away and I am so nervous. I hope your surgery goes well and your recovery is quick as I do mine.

I too went in on the 23rd of June to have these surguries. I was terried. I have a zero pain tolerrance and was super afraid of not being able to breathe. To top it all off I heard about the splint removal and that was really freaking me out. However, I have had a great experience, so far. I could breathe from the time of the recovery room and talk too. I have not had much pain at all. I had the splints removed today and it was not painful at all. Just pressure. I bought everything I saw on these posts that I thought I would need and have used very little of it. I have been eating jello and chocolate pudding and drinking lots of water and tea. I have also been chewing gum and taking the Lortab regularly. Using the saline spray in my nose often has helped too. I am shocked that this has been my experience due to the absence of pain tolerance and past breathing difficulties. I now believe that everyone's experience is different although you could not have convinced me of that the day of my surgery. Hang in there if you are contemplating this surgery and just do everything they tell you to do. I hope my recovery continues to go this well.

It is 4:30 am and i am on day7 of my recovery.
i am 40 and decided to do this because of chronic sore throats.
I heard horror stories and decided to try to go into this being as positive as possible. i will say that the first day and a half, i was doing great with oxycondin and then on the third day, started throwing up from the oxy.
Pain also started becoming difficult to bear. Tylenol took the edge off, but tonight before bedtime, the pain was so bad, that i broke down and took advil which was like living a lttle slice of heaven. i woke up about an hour ago feeling like i was drowning in phlegm, but when i checked in the bathroom, discovered that my scab had fallen off and i was bleeding pretty heavily. i started to semi swallow ice water and had a popscicle and it stopped the bleeding-which probably happened in the first place because i took the advil.
i must say, that before the surgery, i was tired all the time and i do have an underlying core of energy that i haven't had in a long time.
Doctor told me that the tonsils were heavily scarred and full of puss- so i have to imagine that i will really benefit from this.
Anyone who is considering this surgery, should go into it with as positive a mindframe as possible- the weight loss is sort of a plus!
Good Luck!

i had my nose rebroke and straightened at the same time and i had my tonsils and adnoids removed at the same time and im 16 it sucks cause u cant smoke for a while ut it gets better after a few weeks and its not worth trippin over and just get it done and its worth it if that helps any

I just had my surgery yesterday and am in excruciating pain. it helps to drink freezing cold water. my meds don't work at all.

don't feel the nose, it's just bleeding a lot but it doesn't hurt. my throat is killer though. it'll be worth it eventually but at the moment, i'm not feelin so hot.

I just had a UPPP (Uvulopalatopharyngoplasty), septoplasty, inferior turbinate coblation, tongue base coblation, and tonsillectomy all at the same time.

I know it sounds crazy but I figure why go through the pain multiple times, take off work multiple times etc. Mine went quicker than was expected (just over an hour instead of the expected 2 ½ hrs.) because of a new way of trying it and it caused less swelling, blood loss, and pain (believe it or not).

He used coblation on my UPPP and tonsils which he usually does for only the tongue and turbinate. I think that it is not that much sorer than having tonsillitis (I am 29 male). I spent only one night in the hospital just to watch for bleeding. He even said that the tonsils were the size of a kids. I had been having problems with them for the past few years.

My mom (RN who works in the O.R.) came to babysit me (5 hours away) and said that even the position I was sleeping in now would have had me snoring extremely loud but wasn't snoring at all. (I have snored since I was about 1 years old).

It is weird drinking but it is getting better as I recover. I was able to take pills the first night also. I have stuck to things like jello, broth, pudding, hot chocolate, juice etc. I would be glad to anwser any questions someone has. Just shoot me an email with UPPP Question in subject line so I know it isn't spam. _[removed]_