For the last 6 days (inc. today) i've been suffering with what i *thought* was a strain of food poisoning. I had a sudden onset of diarrhea on friday, which lasted through to saturday. Naturally I drank lots of clear fluid and reduced my food intake to a minimum (stewed apples and a little toast). By sunday, the diarrhea seemed to be improved, and i was even a little constipated. My hunger returned on monday, and I ate normally (though less than usual), and kept my fluids up. All bathroom trips were improved. However I awoke at 3am extremely nauseated, urgently needing to use the bathroom and had to go 3 times over around 2 hours with what was erring on the side of mild diarrhea. Tuesday, I remained nauseous all day and I didn't eat anything except a small bit of porridge to help me sleep; no bowel movements all day. Today (wednesday) I assumed that if this was food poisoning, i MUST be getting better by now, but sadly not.. at 8am i had a real urgency to use the bathroom and what do you know, my diarrhea's back.

Please help - does this sound like food poisoning? I have not vomited, just been very nauseous on / off.
Also everybody that I have eaten with the week previously is fine, and those around me the past few days I have been ill (immediate family, boyfriend, friends) are not ill - so how can this be a virus? 

I went to the doctors today, she gave me antibiotics incase its some kind of serious food poisoning. She also said its possible this could be an appendicitis as sometimes it can "present itself" this way. (coincidentally, about a month ago I had extreme nausea and a constant, dull, aching pain on my right side for a week, ended up having to go to the ER because it got so bad, they prescribed me some pain relief and said to go to hospital if it became a sharp pain, but it didn't and then went away.)

Can somebody please give me any advice on what this could be / what I should do, at the moment I need to do a stool sample but due to the lack of food.. it's very difficult! What are good recommendations to eat today.. I don't have surging diarrhea, its on / off with constipation, I'm very confused and unsure of what to do. The doctor said just drink clear liquids and eat rice / potatoes etc if I feel like it.

Thank you!

Did they do a CT scan on your abdomen? Do you work in a nursing home?  You can get virus from touching a door knob that is infected.  You really need to give them a stool sample and if you cant find anything, then have a CT scan.  Sometimes a person can be nervous over exams, relationships, etc... and stress can cause a spastic colon.  You get diarrhea and then constipation at times, and miserable.  I used to have that.  If you keep having trouble, need to rule out appendicitis. You could have a angry appendix that gets sealed off by the omentum in your abdomen and keeps it from really making you sick.  A CT should show this.  Also, Ovaries can get cysts and push on bowel and cause trouble too.  CT would show this too.  Good luck.  You could also be lactose intolerant.  ?

Hey! Thank you so much for your reply! I am the original poster - just wanted to update you - turns out I actually have a genetic kidney disease called cystinuria where my body constantly makes cystine kidney stones, and as a result of a large undetected stone, my kidney was blocked and starting to fail which caused all of the horrible symptoms! Be well, thank you again for caring :) - Msflur