Couldn't find what you looking for?


A terminally-ill girl has won the right to die after a hospital ended its bid to force her to have a heart transplant against her will.

Hannah, a 13 years old girl, was diagnosed with leukaemia at the age of five and was given a high-strength drug to kill off the infection that further lead to development of a hole in her heart. Her family had to decide whether to continue the treatment – which would destroy the the cancer but possibly further damaged her heart – or stop and hope that the amount of drugs administered was sufficient. They chose to stop with the treatment and the cancer hasn't returned so far. However, the girl has been left with a severe heart damage that requires treatment with a combination of drugs and a special pacemaker.

The doctors have informed Hannah and her parents that a heart transplant was the only solution, the girl decided against it because there was a strong chance she would not survive the procedure and, if she did, the leukaemia could return. The new heart would also last only 10 years tops and she would need constant drug treatment. Hannah decided to return home to her parents and brothers and sister and stay under the expert care of her mother, a specialist nurse as she believed that the treatment was too risky and that she would prefer to enjoy her remaining days in the company of family and friends.

However, in complex right-to-die case, her local hospital began High Court proceedings to temporarily remove her from her parents' custody to allow the transplant to go ahead.

The child protection officer had interviewed Hannah in her bedroom and after the meeting Hannah's views were conveyed to barristers at the High Court who decided to abandon the case.

Her father Andrew said in an interview: "I don't know exactly what Hannah said but it must have been powerful enough to convince some very high-up people that she was right. It is an incredible thing for a young person who has been through such a lot to have the bravery to stand up for her rights. We're so very proud of our little girl."

Mr Jones, who praised the doctors treating her, described the hospital's action as "outrageous". "As if Hannah had not been through enough already and to have the added stress of a possible court hearing or being forcibly taken into hospital is just disgraceful," he said.

Hannah can now only move around briefly before becoming short of breath. She is too weak to speak about the case.


What a sad story. With the approach of Christmas, may I wish that good health be with you all.


It sounds like Hannah has put up a heck of a fight. My thoughts and prayers are with you. My daughter was overdosed by a ER Doctor. Katelynn was three, she was always in and out of the hospitals.Her brain stem was to large and it gave her hour long sezuires. Stay strong and cherrish the days. Tell Hannah, to keep it up.