Hi, my mother is acting very strange. I have never known her like this. We live close to each other and I have the chance of visiting her often. Some time ago her strange behavior began. We laugh, she is happy and all of a sudden she becomes said, than angry than happy again. What could be the cause of these several mood swings that she has?

Hi, it is good that you have noticed the changes that are happening with your mother. The rapid changes in mood, like the ones you have described that occur with your mother, are usually a symptom of mood disorders. The most common mood disorder is bipolar disorder or manic depression. Mood swings can also be caused by hormonal changes. These changes affect brain chemistry. Such are changes during PMS, perimenopause and menopause. When the hormone levels are back to the normal, the mood swings withdraw as well. The best thing that you can do for your mother is to take her to the doctor. He is the only one who can evaluate the situation she is in and start the right course of treatment.