I'm desperate. My 17 year old daughter won't even speak to me. I know that mood swings in teenagers are something quite common, but this is almost ridiculous. She came home last night very late. I just mentioned that she should have called me to say she'll be late. Big mistake. She almost screamed at me!? I should mind my own business, she's old enough, things like that, and than she went to her room and slammed the door. I was speechless. I just don't know what to say or do.

You said it yourself. She is a teenager and mood swings in teenagers are something that happens all the time. If we look at it from medical point of view, we could explain it by the fact that her body is going through radical changes, her hormone's levels are also changing due to hypothalamus and its lessened control over hypophisa. But I suppose what really bothers you are your daughter's reaction. Probably she was mad because of something that does not even have any connection to you, so don't over react. Speak with her, she is old enough to understand that her behavior is not polite, at least, and that she can freely address to you if she has any kind of problems. Be her mother and love her, that is the only thing that can reach her. We were all teenagers once, so we understand her situation, right?

Totally agree on this one.

It is not like your kid is getting into a depression, those mode swings are normal, especially when you have a daughter. I think that they are more prone to this. I also have a teen daughter and sometimes I think that I would be really lucky if I let someone else raise her, I am acting like I don't know how to deal with teenagers. It is true, sometimes I do believe that I don't know, but I am trying. So, if you notice those mode swings, you should try to talk to your kid, be a friend to your kid. I think that they will appreciate you more. 

Heres my take. I am a teenager myself so call me inexperienced or whatever but heres my 2 cents anyway. If she was set off that easily by the fact that you asked her where she had been she was probably doing something that she knew she shouldnt have. I would suggest asserting yourself. If you are normally passive this might catch her off gaurd and you might make some progress. But if you simply let her take control of you and run over you like that all the time she will take advantage of it and do what she wants.

Thank you for reassuring me as a mother that when I challenge my 16 year old's behaviour when she screams and shouts that perhaps one day she will become that reasonable human being I know is deep inside somewhere.