Hi, I have always looked up to my mother. She was the one that kept us all in the right place. Now it has changed. At first we did not know what is going on with her. On some occasions she was acting really strange. For no reason, she turns from happy to an angry or a very sad person. After some time, we found out that she is suffering from mood swings. What can you tell me about it?

Hi, having feeling of happiness or excitement that changes in a short period of time, to feelings of depression and anxiety, and vice versa, means that this person is suffering from mood swings. This is what is happening to your mother. Mood swings make it difficult to lead a normal life. People that have this kind of condition are unable to concentrate, have future plans, maintain relationships or set goals. They are also having bad performances at work. Mood swings are caused by physiological factors, such as illnesses, and changes of hormonal balance. Emotional shocks are also found to be a reason that makes mood swings occur. I suggest you take your mother to a psychotherapist. He can help her understand these changes and teach how to deal with these situations. Also a psychiatrist will prescribe her with necessary medication.