Hi, I have a twenty two years old son. He is diagnosed with attention deficit disorder. It really produces a lot of trouble but there is something else that is bothering us all. My son is at one point feeling very happy and the next sad. I am aware that these are mood swings. What I would like to know is how are they connected with ADD?

Hi, you are right to think that the feeling changes that your son is having (happy at one and sad the other moment) are mood swings. They are normal to appear with people that suffer from ADD. This is especially true for adults such as your son. They can change moods in a really short period of time. Adults with ADD can act quite superior at work sometimes. At that time they get a lot of things done, have a large number of ideas. But the next time they just do not take any steps in dealing with their tasks since they are felling bored. The mood swings in adults with ADD can cause a lot of problems at home and at work as well for the apparent reasons. I am sure that your son is on some medication that helps him with ADD. You should talk to his doctor about the mood swings you have noticed. The doctor will be able to solve this problem.