Hello, I have a huge problem that is literally ruing my life. My relationship is in crisis, and my job in danger because of my mood swings. They are severe and too strong to control them. What should I do?

My mother suffers from manic depression, and she often has mood swings. That is when she acts extremely euphoric, and changes her mood every two minutes. One moment she is sad, second moment she laughs, and then suddenly, there she is crying and cursing her life. She can’t concentrate, has insomnia and even speaks of suicide. It is hard for me to witness this, but she is my mother and I can’t leave her alone in the moments like these. Her mood swings sometimes become real panic attacks, and then it’s even harder to calm her down. Recently, she started using lithium and it really minimizes her emotional swings. You should try this medicine too.