I was surprised when I found out that Nearly one-tenth of all school-aged children in the US are being coerced into taking mood-altering drugs with side effects that include insomnia, tearfulness, personality change, nervousness, anorexia, nausea, dizziness…These are the children diagnosed with ADD or ADHD. Anyway some of them have been treated d with Ritalin and it seems that Ritalin is not the right answer for their problems. I’ve heard about the book “Ritalin Is Not the Answer”. I was wondering has anyone read this book. I was getting an impression that Ritalin can hurt you.

I have read a book and I was sorely disappointed in it. I was searching for a book that would help me find alternatives to Ritalin, but instead of helping I found it extremely insulting. I impression is that David Stein's attitude it that because there is not much know about ADD/ADHD that it must not really exist and because these children have impulse control difficulties the parents are bad parents for not disciplining their children. I strongly disagree. My son is ADHD. The medical community has already proven that child who is ADD/ADHD produce more alpha and theta brainwaves, rather than beta waves. I don’t know if Ritalin can hurt someone, but parents if you are looking for alternatives to Ritalin, then this book is not what you are looking for nor this man's advice.

My son also 'suffers' from ADHD. I hesitated over a year before giving him Ritalin, but I could not find any alternatives either. So many homeopatic 'solutions' I tried but nothing helped. Please don't tell me that we donot raise him with enough discipline, on the contrary! Anyway, the kid was about to be sent away from school and for his sisters it was also a difficult situation as it takes a lot of energy and attention to 'guide' an ADHD child. So finally I chose the Ritalin. And though it gives him some sleeping problems it is still worth it. Without his medicine he cannot sit still, he cannot concentrate and make his exams. With Ritalin he finds the concentration needed to do the job, to sit still and listen when the teacher talks. Of course he remains a bit different than the other kids and too bad that he continues to play the clown. But at least he can continue his study and build a future! Should there be anyone out there who does have a good alternative on the other hand, my ears are all open because I'm well aware of the fact that Ritalin is not a healthy solution.