Hi, I am very concerned about my friend. He is injecting Ritalin. I am aware that this is a serious drug used in treatment of ADHD, but I fear of the side effects Ritalin may have on my friend. He says that he feels great and that Ritalin is helping him with his concentration. Could you tell me something about Ritalin that will convince my friend to quit using this drug?

Hi, Ritalin is indeed a powerful drug used to treat attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. This is a central nervous system stimulant and because of this it can be abused in the way your friend is abusing it. When Ritalin is used under the doctors supervision it can be a very beneficial drug, but even then it may have many side effects. And when it is used without medicinal cause for it, the side effects can be disastrous. First of all, Ritalin comes in the form of tablets. Since your friend is injecting it, it means he is dissolving it in water. Some of the substances used to make Ritalin tablets are not dissolvable and they may clog your friends small blood vessels. This can cause death. Also, people who inject Ritalin are more susceptible to HIV and other viruses that can be transmitted if many persons share the same needle. The side effects that Ritalin can cause in people, who do not take it medicinally, besides a psychological addiction, include cardiovascular complications appetite loss and inability to stay or fall asleep. Of course, addiction is the most serious one. You should talk to your friend openly about this thing. If he doesnt listen to you, then you should talk to his parents about his problem. This is the best way to help him deal with his Ritalin addiction problem.

ritalin isn't so bad, but injecting tablets not made for injection is risky, as the above comment notes small blood vessels can get clotted by all the tablet's inert ingredients. mostly it's the blood vessels of the lungs which cop it and that leads to emphysema. hopefully if he filters his solution well minimising the risk, although he is still likely putting a whole bunch of unwanted things into his blood stream. tell him to just swallow or snort them for the sake of harm minimisation if he wont give it up, or if h likes needles too much too inject something designed to be injected. reasons for quitting ritalin: the crashes, it can make sex difficult, eventual loss of sex drive, insomnia ( leading to the search for downers to counteract this), aging quickly, psychosis, aggressiveness, false sense of power.
same side effects as being a cop. it's like speed and being a speed freak is exhausting and unpleasant

i got addicted to it the first time i did it. never touched a needle in my life before that , now you would think ive been shooting heroin for 10 years, it started with one pill,than 2 a shot, 3 times a day a WEEK later. and not to mention needle fever, you get addicted to the needle itself you wanna shoot so bad sometimes you'll shoot water just for the feeling of using the needle,not even for a placebo, just for the feeling of sticking your f*****g arm., trust me, im not some mom, im a young man, i still do everything i used to with the exception of a few things, i rave, im not some PTA mom or one of thoes un-educated ass'es who thinks every drug is horrible and if you smoke weed you'll immediately go find your fathers gun or sink into the f'ing couch like that PSA commercial. i hope this will convince your friend otherwise; best of luck!