Hi, a year ago I had a problem with the joints of my hands and leg. I had no idea what could have caused it. Anyway, I went to the doctor and he said that I have rheumatoid arthritis. He prescribed me some medicine. After a few months the stiffness withdrew. But after a while, the pain occurred again. The doctor said that rheumatoid arthritis relapsed. Again after a few months the pain was gone. What exactly does this all mean?

Hi, pain, swelling and sometimes stiffness of the joints are a symptom of rheumatoid arthritis. This illness does not affect only one joint. If occurs, the symptoms are present in several joints. Rheumatoid arthritis can be diagnosed for any joint in the body. There are people that have this condition for a couple of months and then it goes away causing no damage at all. Some have to deal with the symptoms that get worse and better during this disease. There are also cases in which rheumatoid arthritis occurs in a severe form and can last for several years and even a lifetime. In this case, harsh joint damage may occur. When the doctor said that rheumatoid arthritis relapsed, he meant that it came back. The cause of it is not exactly known. What is known is that this is an autoimmune disease. In these conditions our immune system attacks our tissue as if it were an enemy. You, obviously, belong to the first group, the group in which rheumatoid arthritis goes away in few months. These relapses usually consist with seasonal changes. Why and how are the two connected, the scientists have not yet figured out.