My child has a friend she plays with who was recently diagnosed with juvenile arthritis. The child looked perfectly normal to me and I was very surprised that she had such a serious condition. It got me worried since I am a mother too and I wouldn’t wish it to any child and I find my self helpless to prevent it from happening to mine. How to know if your child has juvenile arthritis? Is there any method to prevent it? And if you discover it on time is there any chance to stop its development?

Hi! I don’t know answers to all your questions and I am sorry about that. What I do know is that if you discover Juvenile Arthritis at early stage the chance to stop the degradation of the joints and preserve their mobility are greater. So I would advise you that if you have some worries, and some evidence that back them up, you should take your child to the doctor who will make sure everything is well. If your child feels no pain in joints and has normal movements you should not traumatize him by taking him to the hospital. This is my opinion.

The symptoms of the Juvenile arthritis are not only pain and stiffness. Juvenile arthritis usually causes inflammation of the joints too. That makes the joints feel warm to the touch, swell and look red. If you see any of these signs do take your child to the doctor. But if you do not see anything wrong, let the child enjoy its childhood. The doctor usually looks for the joint inflammation, rash, nodules or eye problems that may suggest the presence of juvenile arthritis. He also usually asks if there is some family member who had this disease too, and does the x-ray imaging.