Hi, I would like to talk to you about rheumatoid arthritis. I have been feeling morning stiffness and pain in my fingers and wrists for a while. When I went to see my doctor he told me I might have rheumatoid arthritis. After an x-ray and some additional tests, the diagnosis was confirmed. The doctor prescribed me some medicine and talked me about the exercises that would help me. I was wondering will this therapy help me with the pain in my joints. How will the rheumatoid arthritis damage my fingers?

Hi, rheumatoid arthritis is a condition that has many forms. Some people suffer from it for few months and then the illness goes away. Others have the condition showing up in flares and finally some people suffer from chronic rheumatoid arthritis that can affect some other organs as well. Why the illness has so many forms is not yet understood. In fact, the doctors don't even know what causes rheumatoid arthritis. It is an autoimmune condition in which your immune system attacks and destroys your joint tissue. This causes the inflammation and morning stiffness and pain you have been feeling. Finger joints, wrists, ankles and knees are mostly affected. The damage to the finger joints can be severe. The joints can be so deformed that a person could have problems with finger movement. Depending on the fingers affected, the deformation can cause more or less movement problems. Exercises and physical therapy are best choices for people with rheumatoid arthritis.