I am 16 years old and I don’t feel like I fit in at all. I do not have any friends my own age but I have clients. I am a small business owner/IT consultant. A few months ago I heard about a anxiety disorder called social phobia and at the time I thought I had it but I am not so sure any more because I don’t have any problems dealing with older people but with people my own age I can’t seem to deal with them at all. When I say I can’t deal with them I mean I get very nervous and can’t commutate very well with them. At my school I see almost everybody getting in relationships and having too many friends so I feel like I don’t fit in at all. If you have any advice it would be greatly appreciated. Help!

So you relate better to older people rather than people your own age.  Are you an only child?

Are you male or female? 

You are a very young, obviously mature teenager to own and operate your business no matter what kind of business it is AND it's concerning IT an area most people don't understand let alone teens your own age.  This is one reason why you don't fit in: you own your own business (so other kids find you intimidating and way more mature so harder to approach).

To try to find someone at your school to hang with you would want to find someone with similar interests - computer.  This is where you will have the most luck.

Hope this can help in some small way

Thanks for the quick reply! I am an only child and a male. I didn’t mention it in this post but I had bullying problems at my high school and because of that this semester was my last semester in a regular high school. I am now going to an online high school which I think will work out a lot better for me as far as getting an education goes but for making friends it is only going to be harder. I guess I will need to find another alternative way to meet people my own age. I am not sure if you can help me out much there because that is more of a local thing but if you have any other advice I would be open to it.

Yeah, I thought you were an only child just from you getting on with older people and being so much more mature. I am sorry to hear about your bullying problems, I do hope you addressed them with your school administrator even though you are now doing your high school alternately online which will be a confidence booster but not a social skills builder as you already mentioned. You need to put yourself in those settings; go to the mall and sit in the food court for a hour or in starbucks without your ipod/pad, go to the local hangout and hopefully you will meet someone that you will get comfortable with to hang out with. Remember to try to hang out places with similar interests as well or find teens with similar interests, don't worry there will be some. Or, maybe give some classes on how to be a teen and open up your own business (even I'm interested on that one), all teens need and want money, give them the know-how, you might be surprised at how many would be interested.

Hmm..I'll try to think of more suggestions for you, if I can

Thanks for the help! I will keep your advice in mind.

Social Phobia or Social Anxiety Disorder is an anxiety disorder characterised by overwhelming anxiety and excessive self consciousness in everyday social situations. Most of us will feel some degree of anxiety when faced with a job interview, giving a presentation or meeting new people for the first time.