Hi, it has been a year since I started having anxiety attacks every time when I have to confront other people or talk in front of them. I was shy before, but it was never this bad. I went to doctor to hear his opinion, and he told me that I have social anxiety. How can I fix it?

Hi, I suffer from social anxiety much longer than you do. I hope you will have more success than I did in fixing it. It all started five years ago when I went to my friend’s birthday party. That was the first time that I had feeling of discomfort and feeling that everyone was staring at me. Of course, I know it’s not the true, but I can’t shake that feeling. It developed into social anxiety, and I have it ever since. It is worst when I shopping, because I can’t stop thinking about people who stare at me from the big mirrors the ceiling. I am taking some medications, but I don’t see any improvement. I am considering trying psychotherapy called cognitive-behavioral therapy. It helped many people, and hopefuly, it will help me.

i also have really bad sochial anxiety.. i havent tracked it down to an exact moment in life.. i have a feeling it was sometime after high school though though becuase i dont remember ever having it then.. im am 28 right now and the anxiety is really screwing up things in my life.. i have a hard time ever shopping or going out to eat alone.. if im with a friend its not nearly as bad because for some reason my mind then thinks that people arent staring at me as much . i was medicated for a little while but i didnt like the changes that was making in my mind so i went back to nothing .. I honestly havent found anything that helps me with this.. one thing that you have to realise though is that its just your thoughts, and people arent really staring at you.. .. im working now on teaching myself to take my feer.. Acept that yes i am afraid of this , and then stick that away untill the situation is over.. and then let it come back if it wants to .. so far im not able to do it, but its what im working on doing . i figure the problem is mine , it came in through me and it will leave through me.. part of my reason for thinking like that is because i dont really have the money to try to get it fixed becasue im scared to death of job interviews.. so at the moment im sticking with my current job where i am comfortable. which is landscaping lol. but i enjoy it.. and i know my coworkers well and im not afraid of them. i hope to move on with my problem though so i can move on with life.. its my number one priority in life and im a pretty dedicated person .. if i have any luck with anything i will be sure to share with you what it is that works . If you ever need someone else who feels the way you to to write to , feel free.. *************

good luck !

**this post is edited by moderator ** private e-mails not allowed **

I received anxiety stress disorder as a child caused by fear of extreme abuse and i fought to get away from it my whole life ...i seem to make my home so that that stress is there...I pick on my men till they break and the stress disorder is triggered..I want to control everything.. and i feel like the one whos never been picked for that job ..everyone else is..i have a B.A. and still i cant find my way out of the box to find gainful employment.. as i age it gets worse.. i dont have my looks toget by on.. and control persons with..i am loosing the strong crutch i've always used.. i am feeling weak bodied.. and just plain old and depressed.. i am middle aged and i have always had a strong built body .. but now it seems like i cant even breathe or find strength to get going .. i go to bed tired and wake up even more tired..I'm so sick of this trap im in..I wonder every day why am i alive.. why do i live with an abusive man who i force into violence .. what do i do....

hi people. im sorry about what we are talking about, but i know i can relate. ive suffered with anxiety for about 9 years. and i can't help you, and a doctor can't help anyone either, it's stupid that they even have that "job". i haven't heard of one doctor curing someone from this and probrably never will. all i know is that my doctor, isn't my doctor at all. When i come home after my 30 minute appointment and get my pills, I am my doctor, and for the next two months till my next appointment. It's been a month and i can't leave the house, i was thinking maybe it's motion sickness? who knows. So all I can tell you is don't depend on anyone to help you.. good luck

i overcame social anxiety. just challenge yourself to do more and more things out of your comfort zone. i used to feel awkward even standing in a line... or looking through a clothes shop. now i couldn't really care less... everyone sh*ts out of their ass at the end of the day. :O XD

hey guys i also have this disorder, i am 20 and in college and i even sweat even more when i am out in social places, i went to a doctor nothing and went to a physcologist and nothing, so i basically am trying to get rid of it the hard way now, just facing my fears, i do little things that make me feel more comfortable,i just picked a speech communications class, also i walked in to most of my classes late just to have some eyes on me so i could get use to relaxing, also i wear things or grow my mustache (which i dont like) and just go out with the mentality like who cares what these people think i can point out so much wrong with them, and thats when you notice that people just live there life they dont care as much about yours as you might think lol. im glad im not the only one suffering from this though, good luck guys

AT the after party for my junior prom i couldn't handle the stress of feeling like i wasn't good friends with any of the people there so i left and just sat under a tree for a couple hours... is this also social anxiety because all of my muscles where extremely tense and i felt like i had to leave immediately? basically i did anything i could to avoid the situation.

DMT 

seriousley.

you're funny. I hope I can overcome my anxiety. it just comes and goes so suddenly, I feel like i'm a moody person.

I think lots of people felt that way. It was a different situation for you and many others, that`s all.
You can always say to yourself,, So what or we don`t care about that.

hello. i am 17 and im half asian and american. i dont think i have a severe disorder of social anxiety but i think i definately do. since i left my friends in elementary school and went to middle school, i started to have a hard time making new friends. i then thought it was okay not to have any friends. besides, i had a good family and books i loved to read at school. then in high school, i started to notice people staring at me so i tried to avoid any eye contact. and when i thought i heard someone talking to me, they were always talking to someone else. so i started to ignore the sounds too. i turned out to be someone who completely minded my own business. i always avoided community activities, etc. then i start to notice that keeping my head down and to myself all day makes me tired, causing me to pay less attention to my surroundings and to get poor grades. i notice how not having friends effected me and i get so depressed all the time thinking about it. i try to communicate with people as comfortably as possible, but then i notice that talking to people i dont know makes me loose my words and i get so nervous. with all this, i always have doubt that i will have a happy life after high school. one time, i had to pick up my brother during a class full of people. i was so nervous when talking to the teacher while everyone was staring at me and i noticed people laughing at me for my akwardness. i always want to fit in with everyone at school and seeing how they react to me makes me feel hopeless. my parents are currently letting me see a child therapist. and im just hoping she will help me...