Hey everyone. I am a college girl and ever since I am there, I am struggling with some kind of social anxiety. I was talking with psychologist in the college but it seems to me that he can't help me. Or it is just me, maybe I am a lost case, I can't tell. Anyway, I really want to go out with my friends, I want to hang out with them but I just can't because of this brake called social anxiety.

So, can you help me with some advice? Can you tell me how can I fight and cure my social anxiety?

Hello Guest.

Tell me, when have you noticed that you are struggling with social anxiety?  Did you notice this at the college or before?

The good thing is that you can fight it but you just need to be persistent and sure, it takes a lot of effort. Maybe you should find another therapist. Did you ever think about this?

It is important to understand that if social anxiety is stopping you from doing things you want or need to do, or you haven’t had much success with self-help, find someone who can help you. It seems to me that your current therapist is not that good.  Find a therapist who specializes in anxiety disorders. 

Hey. I am not sure when this started to happen to me. I always had problems to do something that I want to do, but I always had this break that something is going to happen, so I think about this and in the end - I give up from it. And it really costs me a lot of decisions in my life. I agree that this therapist is not good for me, it is not like I had any help from him and also I don't feel good after talking to him. Sure I will try to find another one, but this costs and I study far away from my home, but I really don't want to worry my parents about this situation. Anyway, I really want to know is there something that I can do alone, that can help me deal with my social anxiety.

Sure that this is a good solution - finding another therapist. I understand that you need to pay, but it is about your health so you should not avoid it. And I think that you should tell you parents what you are going through. 

Sure that you can try to help yourself until you visit someone who is a professional. For example, you can create objectives and assure yourself that is something that you need to do.

Also, it is very important to avoid focusing on others’ reactions. You don't care what they will tell you about your certain decisions, it really doesn’t matter how your friend received some of their ideas. 

Yes, you are totally right. I also have a huge problem with thought what will other tell about my ideas, how they will react when I tell them that I don't like something or that I don't want to go to the places where other people are going. Maybe that is why this social anxiety has developed in my case, maybe I am having problems with it for a while and I didn't notice it. I don't know what to tell my parents, my dad is hard - headed and I am sure that he will tell that I imagine this to have more attention, because I am not that good in the College, while my mom is going to be extremely scared. Don't know...

I think that you are just one of those teenage girls who are looking of attention, who wants to be in the center of attention. You aren't suffering from social anxiety, that is why your college psychologist can't help you. You don't want to admit to yourself that you are doing all of this because of some other reasons and this is exactly why you won't get far with your life. You don't have to prove anything to anyone, you need to be yourself and you need to admit the truths you already know to yourself, that is when you can move on.

Here is an advice for you: find articles on the internet on this topic: comfort zone crashes. This can help you a lot with your social anxiety. The goal is to realize that most of the people don't actually care what you do or how you look, they are just normal people who want to have fun and that's it. Plus, this little experiment can set you free in a lot of different ways, it can make it easier for you to be yourself and it can boost your self esteem, I am guessing that these things are exactly what you need.

I am struggling with the same thing, however, I never talked to a psychologist, I made an appointment but at the very day when I was supposed to go and talk to this psychologist, I've decided not to do it. I am fighting this on my own and I am doing quite well. I hang out with friends in the pub, I talk to strangers, I host people from all around the world (as a host on couchsurfing) and all of these things really helped me to feel better and to be more open towards the world, and to be myself, of course.

You can always just try and search for another psychologist, at least that is what I would do. But if this one wouldn't be able to help you either, I would probably give up on psychologists and try to fight this on my own. Social anxiety is probably one of the worst types of anxiety but you can overcome it, it might not be easy but it is definitely doable. It will be a lot easier if you have someone to share this with, someone close to you, who can be there for you during this period and help you out.

Hi!

Social anxiety can be very severe if not cured at the right time. One can consult therapist for this but any therapist can do no help unless the victim wants to help one self. The first thing to be done is make a self-manual. Take no stress and always try to be happy. Practice deep breathing every day and take a balanced diet as it help a lot in reducing stress. Apart from these, you can then take help of a therapist and lead a normal life.