so im 16 turning 17 in like a week and recently ive been noticing more and more that i have problems fitting in. i smoke pot alot now and i have on occasion for as long as i can remember but i dont think that is the cause of my anxiety, ive always been scared of talking to people and im anything but out going. for as long as i can remember ive been afraid of confronting people it drives me nuts i do everything i can to avoid it i even try my best at school so the teachers dont give me a hard time. on the other hand ive worked at my part time job for almost 2 years and once i got to know the people i didn't have any problems fitting in same goes with at school i have alot of friends who i work with and go to school but thats the extent of it. my biggest fear has always been shopping tho and i found this site and read a few forums about people with social anxiety so i made a thread. i think the best thing i can do is try and overcome my fears which might just be a part of growing up? anyways i would love to hear other peoples opinions, if i have this problem it is severely holding me back in life and i will do everything i can to fix it. thank you for reading. =)

lol yea i smoked a lot around the time it happened... i think it might have been either
1) a really bad trip i had one time (smoking pot), the whole trip wasnt bad but just this one moment where i felt like i was screaming bloody murder inside my own mind
2) my parents moved to another house and i had no real contact with friends or anything for about 4 months and when i went back to school after summer ending i had my first panic attack in class outta nowhere... that sucked

well the best thing i can recommend is get out to social situations man... but be careful because 1 of 2 things will happen...

You will either overcome this fear and go about life as normal by going to parties and stuff and learning to just dissipate it

OR

You will have more and more awkward situations and you will begin to think that you cannot fix it by being more social and then you will be even more screwed than before... im only 20, started when i was about 16, and during high school i went to a lot of parties, some went great some notsogreat. i definitely haven't overcome my anxiety but basically i think its good to get out and at least see who you can get comfortable with, because even most anxiety riddled people have a few persons they know who does not affect them, so the more people you meet, u might have more anxiety but you'll probably grow your "comfort zone" of people you know. So right now I'm like 50/50 in how often im affected, its just kinda random...

Anyways man, good luck to you, I doubt pot helps anxiety, especially if you feel it when your high because I used to smoke and try to overcome it while high but now I just work out and go running and you will get a different kind of high that way, but everybody can learn their own way i guess. May god bless anyone with anxiety cuz it sure can devastate an otherwise healthy and productive life...